Hawkesbury Jew and kings

bojulabah

Set off early Sat morning to get livies off Westhead where they have been spasmodic lately, but not today, we got 30 in about 30 mins - just about jumped in the boat. Tried a troll around Barrenjoey, without luck and headed off to Long reef. The sounder showed a big bait school off Newport beach so we dropped some squid and live yakka's and got an immediate hookup. I was trying out a new demon blood 6'6" rod with 6500 Saragosa reel, spooled with 30kg Sunnline braid (love Sunnline) and 40lb Fluro. I seriously underestimated the kinkies that were here and was seriously smoked after about 5 mins - the Fluro was chaffed and obviously scraped on the bottom - these guys are dirty (smart) fighters.
I upgraded to my 40 Terez and Finor Lethal offshore 10000 spolled with 80lb braid and 80 Fluro and we started to boat them, the big ones must have been scared off as average size was 67cm, but still good fish - it's just not worth downsizing for the sport of big fish on light gear when Kings are the target.

We headed back to the Hawkesbury to catch the turn of tide at the bridge hoping for a nice Jew (still plenty of livies in the tank). We boated 9 Jew and lost 3. All were babies and about 3x the size of the yakka's - so all were released of course, but also boated a nice 68cm flattie.

It was a great day with over 40 fish caught and 38 released.
I love fishing, if Jesus 3 closest mates (Peter, James and John), were fishermen, there has got to be something deep, spiritual and meaningful about our sport - thats my excuse for spending time on the water (at least my wife and family can't complain about me wanting to spend time with God)

post-869-0-55157300-1458511776_thumb.jpg

post-2834-0-24963100-1458414093_thumb.jpeg post-2834-0-38290100-1458414183_thumb.jpeg

What a top days fishing. Nice report well done.

Not much gets past Yowie so I'd agree Trag with concave tail instead of convex.

Yep, concave tail, orange colour inside the mouth, colour of the body, smaller legal size than a jewie, and I think slightly better eating than a jewie. Should have kept if for the table.

Yep, concave tail, orange colour inside the mouth, colour of the body, smaller legal size than a jewie, and I think slightly better eating than a jewie. Should have kept if for the table.

Great description mate.

Plus 1 Yowie.

Thanks for the replies raiders, Well, looks like my lack of experience with Jew fish cost me a good feed of trags - we put 9 back. Is the orange mouth colour a definite difference between trag and Jew- 'cause they were all orange in the mouth. I am gob smacked that trag would be under the bridge in Hawkesbury - I thought they were an offshore reef species??

Yeah, definitely a Trag. I reckon the easiest way to tell Trag from Jew for those who don't know is the scales. Jew have big scales like a fingernail, Trag have quite small scales, funny all the books never seem to mention that. Other give aways are the concave tail and orange mouth as mentioned (although jew still have a yellowish mouth so that on is easily mixed up).

Good day fishing there!!

Rich

Great report Mate. Was out on Sunday targeting Jew fish in the Hawkesbury with no luck, however it was my first time ever fishing the Hawkesbury. Ill definetly be coming back. Any tips that you can pass on.

Great report Mate. Was out on Sunday targeting Jew fish in the Hawkesbury with no luck, however it was my first time ever fishing the Hawkesbury. Ill definetly be coming back. Any tips that you can pass on.

Get a sounder! Haha

Find those deep wholes and bait balls around the change of tides....it is a big waterway though so someone might help you with location more so than I. Personally I used to fish the Northern bank starting from the old boat wrecked just up from the old mental asylum.

Unreal trip.. Kings are unreal.. Papafish if you hook a big king even 80lb braid on a 10000 Saragosa with locked drag is a walk in the park for a king.. I always keep it heavy just in case. A big king can make you look very average indeed

I went to the Hawkesbury River on Friday and got nothing! I tried everywhere from Bar point to Barenjoey and near the rail bridge for about 4 bites for the day. Between 6 of us only 4 fish were caught for the whole day.... pretty disappointing.