M5 they have to be joking!

Welster

Ok so last night I'm reading my toll statement and notice quite a few $12.07 charges. Looking further it is obviously when I tow my boat. Looking at previous statements this hasn't happened before. WTF I'm thinking.

I was guessing the Bimini was over height but decided to call the m5 office this arvo. Apparently the rules are a maximum height of 2.9 and length of 12.5. Also no cash back applies as it is considered a truck not a car.

The lady informed me if I disagreed with the length I could get an official measure. Just ducking out and measuring my car and boat with the motor on the travel clipI come up with the length around 12m. The 2.9 height isn't tge problem either.

So now it seems I have to make an appointment and take my car and boat for an official measure. Very annoyed is an understatement.

There is always another way these places are trying to waste our time and money. Did I mention I'm annoyed?

They should also not charge you when you pass through the tolls at 5km ph!

Agree completely. Their revenue would plummet real quick!

So now it costs 25 extra to use the m5 than it has for the past 15 years

C'mon guys

The state is broke and we need to pay for the 35 Public Servants that it takes to run the Premiers Office.

I do agree that we shouldn't have to pay any toll when we spend the bulk of our trip on the freeway travelling 60km's below the speed limit because some decided we need to cut the grass on the median strip

Edited by Crossfire63

I got 20km on the M7 so full amount and m2. Launch at Roseville. Take the boat down south to get work on it and it costs a fortune another full m7 amount and then the m5 with dual axle trailer so you get smashed

Edited by Danieljc

C'mon guys

The state is broke and we need to pay for the 35 Public Servants that it takes to run the Premiers Office.

I do agree that we shouldn't have to pay any toll when we spend the bulk of our trip on the freeway travelling 60km's below the speed limit because some decided we need to cut the grass on the median strip

I am pretty sure the state doesn't own that road, I believe its private, so you're probably not helping the state anyway, you're helping some rich guys get richer. I wish the state owned that road which would mean all NSW residents would have a share of it and then the state could probably regulate the tolls to make them fair and reasonable.

you have our give our government credit, they are exceptionally good at selling our assets or creating assets at the taxpayers expense that doesn't benefit us. I am predicting they will sell the Harbour Bridge next to someone overseas :)

Edited by Scent Blazer Lures

I don't get how they justify dropping the height limit from 2.8 to 2.0 m just for towing a boat or even a box trailer. It is odd this has never happened before considering I use to often tow with my Hiace van.

Any one want to chip in and import a couple containers full of bicycles from China?The way the poor old motorist in this so called lucky country continues to be slugged we sure will need them very soon.

Lucky alright,lucky for hard working average joe to be able to afford anything the way this scum we call government continues to slug us.

My opinion only.

• 3 weeks later...

I feel the pain aswell. As a resident of north western Sydney, m7, m2 and the lct it gets a bit much. I run my own business and the company cars using those roads clock upwards of $6k every year in just tolls. It's a joke, at least on the M5 you get a cash back, not our lot, just take and take, oh and do it whilst you're stopped in the traffic.

Hey Raiders,

I worked for Transurban for 4 years as an IT Application Support Analyst , the state gov is too poor to own anything, even our electricity is privatised.

The Gantrys have 6 or so special cameras that measure the size of the vehicle, then charge accordingly. In your case they probably thought yours was a heavy vehicle. I would ring your tag provider and dispute it. Speak to the manager on duty and they will create a case for you and have it looked at.

Why should you go out of your way to get your rig measured, that's total BS mate... just provide previous times you've been through the gantry with your boat and ask them why didn't they charge you back then? With all technical engineering, there's always maintenance and upgrades etc to the equipment so don't be surprised if it's faulty.

They keep a few months worth of pictures on their roadside servers, get them to dig one up when you're able to find the details of your last trip that was charged correctly.

And yes, I would suggest to buy their shares, its a win win situation, gov is way too poor to ever buy it back, the company is worth billions. They have 40 year leases on these Gantrys, and its their job to keep increasing the lease to maintain their big bucks, just like the M4 will be soon tolled again.

PM me if you need any more help buddy.

Dave.

Hey Raiders,

I worked for Transurban for 4 years as an IT Application Support Analyst , the state gov is too poor to own anything, even our electricity is privatised.

The Gantrys have 6 or so special cameras that measure the size of the vehicle, then charge accordingly. In your case they probably thought yours was a heavy vehicle. I would ring your tag provider and dispute it. Speak to the manager on duty and they will create a case for you and have it looked at.

Why should you go out of your way to get your rig measured, that's total BS mate... just provide previous times you've been through the gantry with your boat and ask them why didn't they charge you back then? With all technical engineering, there's always maintenance and upgrades etc to the equipment so don't be surprised if it's faulty.

They keep a few months worth of pictures on their roadside servers, get them to dig one up when you're able to find the details of your last trip that was charged correctly.

And yes, I would suggest to buy their shares, its a win win situation, gov is way too poor to ever buy it back, the company is worth billions. They have 40 year leases on these Gantrys, and its their job to keep increasing the lease to maintain their big bucks, just like the M4 will be soon tolled again.

PM me if you need any more help buddy.

Dave.

Thanks Dave. On following phone calls they insisted I had to be below 2m high on a three axle vehicle.

Edited by welst