15hp Johnson service

Nuttynatty

Hi all just curious about the price of a standard service on a Johnson 15hp, had to get a small plastic piece on it replaced, not sure of the piece name but the piece was no bigger than my thump nail and appeared easy sought to replace. was hit with a price just under $600, motor ran fine prior to service just wanted to give it the once over. Any thoughts ?

Thanks for that info, I was thinking it was pretty expensive. The plastic piece that broke effected the ability to change from neutral to forward or reverse, it is tiny and my guess is that it would cost 50 cents max.

Oh well learned my lesson and will have to find another place next time.

Thanks

Sometimes those tiny pieces cost more than expected and may also take time to strip the engine / electrical a down to get to be able to change it.

I had my 25hp mercury seviced by a mercury dealer and it was $725.

Tiller handle bolts were $28

Water pump impeller

2 x spark plugs

Change gear oil

Tune Carby (was way out)

Thermostat and gasket ($125)

Grease and lube

Compression test and general check over including prop inspection

Tank test and run

1M of fuel hose

1ltr Mercury 2 stroke oil

Edited by jeffb5.8

nuttynatty you paid way overs ,can you post job sheet on here like jeff 5.8 just hide the techs name and buisness and jeff 5.8 $175 for a thermo and gasket gee you got done over too .once you find a good tech you can trust keep them for life cheers dunc333

Went and checked the invoice and it was $124.85 but yeah still expensive.

I figured it was a new motor to me and I thought if I got a factory trained Mech to look it over first then the rest of the time I could do the services myself.

Edited my first post with the price and couple things I forgot.

Edited by jeffb5.8

HI

I had a new implellar installed in a in 15hp yamaha and it was around the $200,

I think my service and install of my 90HP etec was less than you paid sorry mate.

I can PM you details of the mechanic that did the work. I like them and they got my

old 120 Evinrude running too

Gday again and the breakdown is as follows and any guidance would help as I'm pretty green with this stuff.

$363.00 for labour. Labour total was 3 hours.

$141.75 for the following

Replace Thermostat and Gasket

Replace Impeller

Replace Sparkplugs

Replace missing water scope on leg

Repair trim

Grease up all components.

I have not included GST.

As a sales rep but a novice and know nothing boater I'm just curious what others think.

Cheers in advance

Edited by Nuttynatty

Another option for you to consider. I used the site sponsor shire mobile marine for my last service, he did good work for a good price all with the convenience of my boat never leaving the frontyard.

Now that is a worthy option!

I think that the break down looks ok.

I guess what you don't know is did the work actually need to be done.

I'd pay someone to do that work because I wouldn't like to do it myself.

he is charging about $120 an hour for his labour. If you are happy with the

work then that is all that matters

• 2 weeks later...

So I went for a flick today with the serviced motor and am pretty annoyed.

Took me 10 mins to start the engine, when I finally got it started it coughed and spluttered, when I accelerated slightly it cut out, when I accelerated again it sped up and decelerated without me touching the throttle, this went on for 5 mins, when I finally got it to a few knots it kept cutting out and then died altogether. When I finally made it 100m from the ramp steam was bellowing from the engine from what I can only guess was excess oil burning off that was covering the whole motor. Had to get towed back to boat ramp with an engine that wouldn't start. Also noticed when I pulled the cover off a bunch of screws that were just sitting next to the motor.

I've never had a problem with this motor ever, never cut out, never not started first time, never stalled.

Wasn't happy with the labour costs or their customer service and can't wait to tell them on Monday when they open.

So I went for a flick today with the serviced motor and am pretty annoyed.

Took me 10 mins to start the engine, when I finally got it started it coughed and spluttered, when I accelerated slightly it cut out, when I accelerated again it sped up and decelerated without me touching the throttle, this went on for 5 mins, when I finally got it to a few knots it kept cutting out and then died altogether. When I finally made it 100m from the ramp steam was bellowing from the engine from what I can only guess was excess oil burning off that was covering the whole motor. Had to get towed back to boat ramp with an engine that wouldn't start. Also noticed when I pulled the cover off a bunch of screws that were just sitting next to the motor.

I've never had a problem with this motor ever, never cut out, never not started first time, never stalled.

Wasn't happy with the labour costs or their customer service and can't wait to tell them on Monday when they open.

Sounds like you now have a fuel,spark or both issue.If it is indeed steam your seeing it can only be water thats leaking coming into contact with a hot engine block(not good),oil will smoke if its burning.That oil all over the block you mention shouldn't be there and those screws shouldn't be there either.

Note to yourself never go back to those butchers again.