Securing items in boat trailer

Muzza416

Hi all, just got off the phone to the highway patrol in my local area regarding the law about securing items in transit for trailers,,the only reason I asked the question is because my mate got pulled over for not securing his load in his ute lost 3 points and a lot of $$. I was informed by the highway patrol that BOAT trailers are subjected to the same law, so I guess I will be taking all my gear out and put it in the car whilst in transit to and from the boat ramp,,,was wondering if you guys are aware of this???cheers.

Hi all, just got off the phone to the highway patrol in my local area regarding the law about securing items in transit for trailers,,the only reason I asked the question is because my mate got pulled over for not securing his load in his ute lost 3 points and a lot of $$. I was informed by the highway patrol that BOAT trailers are subjected to the same law, so I guess I will be taking all my gear out and put it in the car whilst in transit to and from the boat ramp,,,was wondering if you guys are aware of this???cheers.

Its been illegal to transport unrestrained loads in vehicles for a long time.

You as the driver are responsible for making sure that any loads can not be lost in transit.

Like you say to stay safe take all lose items out of the boat in transit or use a net or strap them down.

Next time you observe other people's boats at the ramp or whatever have a look at all the loose portable fuel tanks,nets,rods,tackle boxes,pfd,s,shoes etc people have sitting there unsecured ready to bounce or be blown out down the road or worse all that coming head on at you like shrapnel when they have an accident.

My advice is stow,cover or tie everything down using rated equipment to do so.

The reason people get away with it is the policing tends to be slack in this department.

I thought this info would be useful to all of us, in light of my mate getting booked, and it's a wake up call for me to say the least, highway patrol said in the event you have a rollover the contents of the boat do not become projectiles. And thinking about it it makes sense...cheers

It's just common sence to have things secured, I remember once travelling along the freeway at 110 kph and looking in the rear view mirror to see my spare wheel ( which I had sitting on my front cast deck ) hovering about 2 " up from the deck, I imediatly slowed down and the wheel came to a rest on the deck, one decent bump or dip in the road would have seen the wheel outside the boat, and that wouldn't have been nice.

My Bass boat is very low slung and the flow of air is like a wind tunnell, another time part of my casting deck came loose and flew from the front of the boat to come to rest against the transom, once again lucky it stayed inside the boat.

Frank

EXTRA WARNING: Simply putting gear in the car isn't a solution either. It too must be prevented from becoming a missile, in the event of an accident. There was a report here that a lady put her shopping on the rear seat of the car. She proceeded from the car park to the road where she was booked. Food for thought?

EXTRA WARNING: Simply putting gear in the car isn't a solution either. It too must be prevented from becoming a missile, in the event of an accident. There was a report here that a lady put her shopping on the rear seat of the car. She proceeded from the car park to the road where she was booked. Food for thought?

Wow!!! Now that's what I call raising revenue. We all spend quite a bit of money on our gear etc. a common sense approach is to secure it properly to prevent injury to others but also not to lose or damage things in our haste to get to that boat ramp!

this is tinteresting and i think it should be different in some situations.

i have a half cab boat - i have rods in the gunnells, net, tackle box, and esky are the only loose items and they are up in the cab so tech that part of the boat is coverd..

i fold my bimbi down and strap that to the rocket launcher - then have my main strap tieing it the to trailer -

i have been pulled over by hwy patrol due to number plate went missing and he never said a thing -

i under stand if some had what i just mention in an open boat/ tinner then there is every chance of it coming out..

We had a employee driving a work ute fined for a unsecured load back in Sept 15.

He had 3 shovels and some hydraulic hoses not secured or under the tarp.

I assumed he was speeding or doing something silly that the coppers could not pin on him so they took this route to fine him.

I guess he was just unlucky.

Edited by jeffb5.8

This topic has got me thinking. I sometimes travel to or from the river with the boat contents uncovered...even though I have a custom made tarp cover for the boat. Think I'll start spending an extra 5 minutes using it in future. You always assume that you're not going to have an accident, don't you? After all, if I'm headed to the tip with a load of rubbish, I always cover or secure it.

How about getting booked because your work boots in the ute tray,

weren't tied down. $200 for each boot I was told. Central Coast NSW

You only get one side of the story though, as above, maybe he was being

an idiot, so they decided that is what they would fine him for instead.

I've not replied twice to this. But it's unDer my skin...

This has to be a bloody joke... (not questioning you neil).

Shopping bag on the rear seat??????

If the statutes support this then something is very wrong.

What next nets over our door pockets?

No cover on the ashtray.?

A floor mat not nailed down.?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Yep, Biting my tongue

NaClH2OK9, on 11 May 2016 - 8:14 PM, said:

I think someone is pulling your leg Neil!

Just about every car pulling out of a shopping centre would be illegal if that was law!

Jeff

Edited by Fish Reaper

G'day Salty. It could be a malicious rumour. I have no way to prove or disprove it. One thing I know is that (most often), where I live, these things have some element of correctness. It certainly got me thinking about the POSSIBILITY of what I have IN the car becoming a missile. I think we all get a bit blasé about ourselves being in an accident...a reality check every now and then, is probably a good thing. I know a few of the local feds and will ask them when I see them next. Cheers, Neil

I can tell you that grocery business is false. Just like a fine for each boot unsecured.

If he did get a fine for unsecured load (boots), he wouldn't get one ticket per boot.

People parroting stupid things like this just irks me to no end. A mate of a cousin of an uncle's mate heard someone got pinged for unsecured air fresheners, better look out!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk