Live Yakkas off the beach

RexSenior

Hi Raiders

After a long period of sourcing live yakkas (land based) in Newcastle/ lake Macquarie, I have finally stumbled upon a consistent spot and am turning my focus to where to use them.

Having caught a few Jews off the local beaches using other baits, I'm wondering if the live Yakkas are any good on the beach given that there are no yakkas in the area?

The reason I am asking is usually I need to cover a huge amount of ground to get to the deepest gutters, which is a mission in itself without taking a live bait tank into the equation.

I'm more than happy to cart a live bait tank any distance required if it means increasing my chances of a decent Jew, just wondering what experiences our fishraiders have had given that the logistics of beach livies can be difficult.

Cheers, James.

Guest Guest123456789

I love Pizza. I love McDonald's too. If I saw Pizza on the menu at McDonald's I wouldn't order it.

I believe there are good bait spots straight off blacksmiths slsc about as far as the end of the break wall. If they are there they must end up off the beach too. You may need to Wade on an outgoing with a float to get them where you need. I'd be trying them under Swansea bridge for land based . No distance from the car that way.

But you know the area better than me James.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I would save your effort, I think a live yakka on the beach would be a long shot at best, if your really keen on a beach livie a mullet or tailor maybe a better option, yakkas are certainly worth a crack around breakwalls and headlands where they are a major food source

of course if you do try it and have great success I'll eat my words and go straight out and try it

Dave

Cheers Guys.

I'm keen to try them now, at least a couple of times when the deep gutters are there.

Just thought I'd ask the question as I've found bait sourced close to the fishing spot works best and in some cases not at all in other areas.

Thanks again, much appreciated - I will let you know of any success.

Cheers, James

i know a bloke who catches yakkas in the hacking and karts them live in his ute to woolongong beaches as live bait for jew. He has been doing this for a while so i dont think that he has had no success doing this.....

Cheers for the info.

This is what I'm talking about - for someone to make that effort there must be a great gain or some issues with the individual.

For me it's taken 20+ years to finally start catching jews and I think upping the effort and doing things the best way (not the easiest) can only improve your chances.

I just wish they were easier to catch - then again I probably wouldn't be as exited about them if they were.

Cheers again.

there is a bunch of guys fishing Stockton beach nearly every weekend that use live yakkas all the time...they catch jew consistently all year round..i get sick of looking at the fotos they put up...if u can take them with you live try it and compare results to whole squid or butterflied tailor..my fave bait is the front half of a tailer then cut the back half into three chunks and throw it into gutter for burley...rick

tried that a few times but for all the hard work catching and carrying it was not worth it salmon and tailor would eat them all the time I take the backbone and tail out and leave two fillets still attached to the head put hook through mouth and out only on one side of fillet that leaves the other fillet to wave in the current try using a longer trace as well I use 4/0 to 8/0 hooks worth a try peter

Guest Guest123456789

Unable to help James out with anything constructive, but I can see why Luke has the title of "FISH CHEF".

Lol more of a cook than a chef big Neil ;)

tried that a few times but for all the hard work catching and carrying it was not worth it salmon and tailor would eat them all the time I take the backbone and tail out and leave two fillets still attached to the head put hook through mouth and out only on one side of fillet that leaves the other fillet to wave in the current try using a longer trace as well I use 4/0 to 8/0 hooks worth a try peter

the old punchy bernard rig.

Hace read about it a while back but have never tried it.. looks like im going to have to give it a shot!

there is a bunch of guys fishing Stockton beach nearly every weekend that use live yakkas all the time...they catch jew consistently all year round..i get sick of looking at the fotos they put up...if u can take them with you live try it and compare results to whole squid or butterflied tailor..my fave bait is the front half of a tailer then cut the back half into three chunks and throw it into gutter for burley...rick

That's news to me Rick, very welcome news!

I've stuck to Belmont Beach for many years now but I'm keen to have a go at Stocko, just don't have a 4wd so I'd be taking a walk from the soccer fields.

Cheers for the reply.

I love using a live yakka from the beach.

You bet they work! Pin them through the mouth or nose & they

stay alive for ages.

Thanks Jewhunter.

I use to pin them between the dorsal fin & tail, just above where the colour starts on their back (above backbone) however I'm with you that they stay alive longer when pinned through the nose.

It's a fine line though, too close to the mouth and it rips out when casting and too high in the nose it kills them.

Cheers Peter

Bit of a variation on the butterfly but I can see how that would work, taking the backbone out would make the hookup easier for sure.

Great info, hopefully I can post soon with some success!

Edited by RexSenior

• 2 weeks later...

Live baits reign supreme for large mulloway. If you are chasing size and consistency live baits of any kind out fish dead baits everytime.

I have used yakkas extensively and have had great success. Mainly slide baiting.

Large Mulloway have short bite periods because how successfully they can predate. I dont believe they are particularly fussy in variety. They are just fussy on quality.

I have found leatherjackets, flounder, sand crabs smaller jew and snapper in the belly of Jewish.

This time of year is good for live baiting because bronzies and other sharks are far less common.

I use a 'lawn cart' you can get them at bunnings or masters. To haul a 80l tub and 12v battery and pump along the beach.

Other live baits i use regularly include

WInter:Tailor, Salmon, Squid

Summer: Whiting, Bream Slimeys

Also if you are near a breakwall Luderick this time of year are high on a Jews menu.

Live baits reign supreme for large mulloway. If you are chasing size and consistency live baits of any kind out fish dead baits everytime.

I have used yakkas extensively and have had great success. Mainly slide baiting.

Large Mulloway have short bite periods because how successfully they can predate. I dont believe they are particularly fussy in variety. They are just fussy on quality.

I have found leatherjackets, flounder, sand crabs smaller jew and snapper in the belly of Jewish.

This time of year is good for live baiting because bronzies and other sharks are far less common.

I use a 'lawn cart' you can get them at bunnings or masters. To haul a 80l tub and 12v battery and pump along the beach.

Other live baits i use regularly include

WInter:Tailor, Salmon, Squid

Summer: Whiting, Bream Slimeys

Also if you are near a breakwall Luderick this time of year are high on a Jews menu.

Great info there cheers mate.

I've seen guys catching monster jew along a particular sea wall in Newcastle on whole legal Blackfish. Apparently the blackfish get trapped when a large swell combines with a king tide. It's great to watch!

I agree with the short bite period, it seems every Jew I catch off the beach is in the deepest gutter and right at the top of high tide......it's like they wait for the high water then go in for a few swoops then call it a day.

I've tried the whiting on good advice but no luck as yet. Apparently slabs of fresh salmon are also good but haven't tried that yet.

Cheers, James