Spinning reel sizing

DerekD

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has an idea of sizing system used for spinning reels.

I have either a 1500 or 2500 reel on my 2-4kg bream outfit

I have a 4000 or 4500 reel on my 5 -10kg snapper outfits

I have a 14,000 reel on my heavy spinning outfit.

I've read that there is no obvious consistency in numbering across different manufacturers.

Does the numbering system come from a drag rating, a weight in some odd unit of measurement, a reel dimension?

Thinking about it the only real (pun unintended) system I could come up with that could be standardised across all manufacturers would be a line system based on a line of agreed diameter. For example you could get 1,000 feet (or yards or metres - just examples) of 1lb mono line (of agreed diameter) on a 1000 reel. A 2500 reel could hold 2,500 feet (or yards/metres) of the same line and so up the scale. The numbering would be to the nearest 500.

Anyone else have any facts or theories?

Regards,

D.

8 minutes ago, DerekD said:

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has an idea of sizing system used for spinning reels.

I have either a 1500 or 2500 reel on my 2-4kg bream outfit

I have a 4000 or 4500 reel on my 5 -10kg snapper outfits

I have a 14,000 reel on my heavy spinning outfit.

I've read that there is no obvious consistency in numbering across different manufacturers.

Does the numbering system come from a drag rating, a weight in some odd unit of measurement, a reel dimension?

Thinking about it the only real (pun unintended) system I could come up with that could be standardised across all manufacturers would be a line system based on a line of agreed diameter. For example you could get 1,000 feet (or yards or metres - just examples) of 1lb mono line (of agreed diameter) on a 1000 reel. A 2500 reel could hold 2,500 feet (or yards/metres) of the same line and so up the scale. The numbering would be to the nearest 500.

Anyone else have any facts or theories?

Regards,

D.

If that's the case a 1000,2500,4000,14000 reel would hold 1000m,4000m,14000m of line.

You'd want a big spool to hold all that line.

I may be wrong but I think you'll find it's just a numbering system to distinguish between smallest to largest just like the numbering system on different things like clothes 14,16,18 smallest to largest.Sandpaper 400,800,1200 roughest to smoothest etc.

It will be interesting to hear others thoughts though.

Excellent point Fab1 which is why I had feet as my primary measurement and the others more as an example. 1,000 feet of line is 304.8m which in 1lb on 1,000 sized reel might actually fit. It would be close anyway.

It had to come from somewhere and why go straight into the 1,000s

Edited by DerekD

Here's some info I got from Daiwa's site and am guessing the other brands have a similar system.

Intresting reading as reels are like deciphering the numerals and letters on tyre sidewalls.

I learnt something new today.

Cheers.

Daiwa has few peers when it comes to reel design and ingenuity. A setter of trends, a creator of technologies and industry leading designs, Daiwa is renowned for producing reels designed with a specific purpose, species or angling style.

Names such as Saltiga, Emeraldas, Gekkabijin, and Zillion are legendary within the Daiwa stable, and are testament to the horses for course approach when it comes to reel design and reel selection.

Obviously there is a multitude of elements within each of these reels that contribute to their design and influence their purpose, one component that is present on all of them, and all reels for that matter, is the spool.

The keeper of the connector (the line) between angler and fish, the spool plays a vital roll, and roll that is often over look or misunderstood. Not all spools are created equal and not all spools are designed with the same job in mind and the same capability.

In the Daiwa reel range there is a huge array of different spools that are used. From a diminutive 1003 spool on a Luvias, to a 3012H on a Certate, and an SV 1000 retrofitted on a T3 baitcaster, there’s a tonne of options to choose, and a tonne of different things to consider.

If all this spool talk is confusing then you’re in the right place. So grab a chair and sit down because it’s time for Daiwa Spinning Reel Spools 101.

Part 1- In a Spin

Let’s begin with the spin side of your tackle room and break down the spool sizes available (1000-4000 sizes) and what they all mean. The first thing you need know is the larger the number the larger the spool. That means a 3000 Certate is larger than a 1000 Certate.

The second thing is shallow v deep. A spool that ends with 00 is a full size, deep spool (2000); where a spool that doesn’t (2004) end with 00 can be considered a shallow spool. The two spools as examples (2000 & 2004) are the same size; they just have different line and drag capacities. The numbers at the end of the spool also denote different things, and we’ll explain what each one means very soon.

So let’s start small and work big as we go through the roll call of Daiwa spools. n.b. Please keep in the mind the specs listed for each spool is general in nature, some models may vary slightly in drag and line capacity.

1000– the smallest in the Daiwa family is the deep spool go-to for finesse anglers looking for plenty of line capacity.

Specs- 2kg drag, 4lb/110m.

1003– the shallow version of the 1000 spool is tailor made for finesse anglers who don’t need full spool line capacity. Intended for 3lb mono/fluro line (that’s what the 3 at the end of 1003 stands for) this is the go-to for anglers looking for a small arbour reel, or slower line retrieval. A favourite spool for bream crankers. Specs- 2kg drag, 3lb/100m.

1025– the newest kid on the block in 1000 sized spools is designed for 2 ½ lb mono/fluro line. A spool that’s starting to make an appearance in new models such as the new Exist this is the standout ultra finesse sized spool going around.

Specs- 2kg drag, 2.5lb/100m, 0.3PE/90m.

1500– the next size up from the 1000, this spool offers deep spool capacity for anglers looking for a finesse sized reel.

Specs- 2/4kg drag, 4lb/155m
1503– the shallow spool version of the 1500 is designed with 3lb mono/fluro in mind. A popular size for trout reels.

Specs- 2kg drag, 3lb/100m, 0.4PE/100m.

2000– deep spooled and one of the most popular sizes when it comes to light tackle spin reels in Australia. Holds plenty of line, and steps drag up to 4kg. The great all-rounder.

Specs- 4kg drag, 6lb/190m, 1.0PE/200m.

2003– 2000 in size, albeit with shallow spool capacity. Designed for 3lb line, and one of the newer sizes in the 2000 size range.

Specs- 2kg drag, 3lb/100m, 0.4PE/100m.

2004– the first of the shallow spools in the 2000 size range. The quintessential finesse spool and reel for breamers, bassers, and trout anglers. Easily accommodates a spool (100m- give or take) of line without the need for backing to fill out the spool.

Specs- 2kg drag, 3lb/140m, 0.4PE/120m.

2500– the deep spool all-rounder steps it up in capacity and drag. A spool size that can be fished down for smaller species such as bream and bass, or fished up for bigger species such as snapper, small tuna, or barra.

Specs- 7kg drag, 8lb/200m, 1.5PE/200m.

2505– the shallow spool in the 2000 size range made with 5lb line in mind. One of the newest shallow spools introduced.

Specs- 3kg drag, 5lb/100m, 1.5PE/200m

2506– combines shallow spool and finesse drag into 2500 size reel. A great RCS spool option to have to turn your favourite 2500 reel in a finesse fish catcher.

Specs- 3kg drag, 6lb/100m, 1.0PE/100m.

2508– delivers shallow spool capability to a 2500 reel yet retains the 2500 drag (7kg). A shallow spool with plenty of muscle.

Specs- 7kg drag, 6lb/120m, 1.0PE/120m.

2510– the big daddy in the shallow spool options in the 2500 size spool range offers more capacity than all the others.

Specs- 7kg drag, 12lb/100m, 1.0PE/200m.

3000– deep spool capacity in one of the most popular size ranges in the Daiwa light tackle spin reel range. A tonne of line capacity and drag to handle inshore and light offshore applications.

Specs- 7kg drag, 12lb/200m, 1.5PE/300m.

3012– shallow spool capacity for the angler looking for a 3000 size reel yet doesn’t require a big spool of line. Has the same drag capacity of a 3000 spool (7kg).

Specs- 7kg drag, 12lb/150m, 1.5PE/200m.

3500– deep spool design and a step up in drag size (8kg) and line capacity.

Specs- 8kg drag, 16lb/200m, 2PE/300m.

4000– the big kahuna in light tackle spool sizes. Big drag and big spool capacity is the hallmark of the 4000 spool.

Specs- 8kg drag, 16lb/250m, 2.5PE/300m.
What Does that Letter Mean?

Many of the reels and spools will feature specific codes and letters in their models names. Here’s what they mean:

R– first introduced to many on the legendary Certate, ‘R’ lets you know that the reel has a supersized gearing. For example the Certate 2510R carries the gearing of the 3000 Certate, an upsizing that ensures ultimate gearing strength and makes the reel ideal for heavy duty applications.

H– denotes the reel as being a hi-speed in its gearing. The standard gearing on Daiwa light tackle spin reels is 4.8:1, on ‘H’ reels this is usually boosted up to 5.6:1.

PE– letters that most anglers are use to ‘PE’ denotes that the spool is built specifically with polyethylene lines (PE) in mind. Designed to tame line on and off the spool, and eliminate the issues that PE line can often give anglers.

Tapering Down

While spools can vary in size and capacity (shallow v deep spool) they can also vary in their taper. Here’s a run down on Daiwa’s spool tapers and the role they play:

ABS– the first installment of Daiwa’s unique ABS (Advanced Ballistics System) spool delivers less line tangle and greater castability.

At the centre of the ABS system is a maximized core diameter and reversed taper spool that results in 100% useable line and no “dead” line buried deep within the spool. Line can be filled tight to the edge of the spool lip without fear of tangles, and line control difficulties.

The oversized spool design allows for high cranking speeds, improved drag performance, and reduced line friction. With ABS the spin reel line problems of yesteryear are no longer.

ABS II– featuring the design and line control advances of the original ABS, ABS II features a more pronounced reverse taper spool that enables greater line control on the spool and increased casting distance.

Unwanted line loops and tangles are a thing of the past, particular when using PE and braid lines, with the maximum use of a spool’s capacity now realized, along with unprecedented line control and friction reduction. ABS II tames your line both on and off the spool and makes for more hassle free fishing.

Type R– made famous by the legendary Daiwa TDZ Type R, type R spools are made specifically for fluorocarbon line. Featuring a more pronounced reverse taper, type R spools control fluorocarbon line on and off the reel better than any other Daiwa spool type.

So there you have it, a run down on Daiwa’s light tackle spool options, what the numbers means, and what the letters in the name are telling.

In part two we’ll bust open the baitcaster cabinet and look at what’s on offer if baitcasters are your thing.

Light Tackle Spinning Reels include

Presso 1025

Exist

Caldia SHA

Cheers for the info, interesting read there.

I also find the conversion between manufacturers' reel sizing problematic. For example, what would the equivalent size of a 4000 Shimano on a Daiwa be?

Difficult also when you get into other manufacturers. I guess if you had a bunch of reels from different manufacturers you'd get a feel for how the sizes correspond. Mine are mostly all Shimano.

Hi Fab1,

You did better on the research than I did and thank you for that. I didn't realise that some manufacturers use the last 2 digits in the numbering system which might explain why they are using numbers in the 1,000s. Just gives them somewhere to go on their numbering. Now curious why the overheads are in the 10s for example TLD 10/25/5 or Tyrnos 16/20/30/50. Might be that there are less variations.

The learning continues.

D.

1 hour ago, DerekD said:

Now curious why the overheads are in the 10s for example TLD 10/25/5 or Tyrnos 16/20/30/50.

I think with numbering of game reels is the recommended line rating on them. 

For example it is recommended you use 50lb mono on a Tiagra 50