Sunday Xmas session with father in law

Guest Guest123456789

Guest Guest123456789

Headed up to Pelican at Lake Macquarie for an extended family weekend. This morning the father in law and I left the house as 5:45am for Swansea boat ramp. My first voyage to Lake Mac so I was excited and exploring the lake. Also my first trip fishing with a crewman. 

Beautiful,warm, clear morning with light wind. High tide set for 9:15 and our first spot was Swansea bridge. We got ocean side and I deployed the electric motor. Current was too quick and GPS failed, we started rushing towards the pylons. Tried to start motor, was in gear and it wouldn't start. Managed to steer the electric just keeping us off the pylons, started engine then got us moving forward away from danger. 

After this experience we picked a spot further up and closer to shore. Worked the area for a while with baits and plastics. No bites, so we headed off.

We moved to the drop off and sounded some fish. Finally got the father in law onto a few tiny snapper. Released. Also got a yakka which we live baited for no luck. Then the father in laws loads up, snapped before the surface, had a bit of weight maybe a flathead.

Could have kept finishing but the women started calling so we headed back in for breakfast. At the ramp at Swansea loading the boat onto the trailer the weed got me, fell in and the father in law came to assist and also fell in. Lucky we didn't have our phones and I did lose my keys but managed to find them.

Short session which was great fun just being out on the water. There were LOTS of people on the water but reasonably spaced out. It's a great spot I will definitely be back.

Cheers,

Luke

Still nice to get out on the boat nonetheless. Shame to come home fishless but I guess we all have those days!

Yep it certainly was a busy weekend on the water!

Wish you success in putting the old fella onto some nice fish next time!

Guest Guest123456789

Thanks guys. The expectations were low we didn't have a lot of time and it was my first time fishing the spot. Frankly I'm kinda glad we kept nothing as we overate ham, chicken, beer etc and I didn't feel like cleaning fish.