Swansea Channel Salmon

BigHorse

G'day Raiders, been a while since ive posted so thought id give you guys an update from a recent fishing trip in Lake Macquarie. Over the last couple of weeks salmon of good size +65cm have been around the lake busting up on the whitebait i think. So a mate of mine and i decided to have a good crack on catching a salmon. I had previously Never caught a salmon and had only heard of the fights they give. I went into battle thinking they would give an decent fight but boy was i wrong. I was using my 2500 sedona with 6lb braid and 10lb leader on a 3-5 raider rod. Catching these salmon in the bust up was the most fun ive had in ages.

We started our trip launching from out local boat ramp at bolton point at around 3:30. after getting some horoundes conditions on the lake (we only saw 2 other boats the whole day) and getting dreadfully soaked we reached the Channel and the sand flats. at this point it was around 4 and we couldn't see and birds or salmon so we decided to go for a flick for flathead. This eventuated in nothing and we decided to head over to dora creek where my mate had caught some nice flatties the day before. but as soon as we packed up my mate shouted "BUST UP" and all eyes turned to around 100 birds and god knows how much salmon all in a feeding frenzy. This bust up lasted around 2 and a half hours till it finally stopped. By the time we finished we had caught around 20 salmon all around 55-75cm, solid fish. These fish were caught on light flattie and bream setups using metals, big plastics and a rip off daiwa double clutch. 

Overall it was a great days fishing full of excitement, thanks for reading👍

image.png.d260083ee0a9f8eafc928f9e77b26726.pngimage.png.70c3b5fd280707bf64f6e77e9eece3dc.png

Edited by Little_Flatty
Fixed photos
  • Like 10

1 minute ago, Yowie said:

Salmon go hard on light gear as you found out.

Next, try them on a handline. 🤣

I can only imagine what your hands would look like and feel like after a day of wrestling big fish.

• Haha 1

On 10/9/2022 at 10:20 AM, BigHorse said:

G'day Raiders, been a while since ive posted so thought id give you guys an update from a recent fishing trip in Lake Macquarie. Over the last couple of weeks salmon of good size +65cm have been around the lake busting up on the whitebait i think. So a mate of mine and i decided to have a good crack on catching a salmon. I had previously Never caught a salmon and had only heard of the fights they give. I went into battle thinking they would give an decent fight but boy was i wrong. I was using my 2500 sedona with 6lb braid and 10lb leader on a 3-5 raider rod. Catching these salmon in the bust up was the most fun ive had in ages.

We started our trip launching from out local boat ramp at bolton point at around 3:30. after getting some horoundes conditions on the lake (we only saw 2 other boats the whole day) and getting dreadfully soaked we reached the Channel and the sand flats. at this point it was around 4 and we couldn't see and birds or salmon so we decided to go for a flick for flathead. This eventuated in nothing and we decided to head over to dora creek where my mate had caught some nice flatties the day before. but as soon as we packed up my mate shouted "BUST UP" and all eyes turned to around 100 birds and god knows how much salmon all in a feeding frenzy. This bust up lasted around 2 and a half hours till it finally stopped. By the time we finished we had caught around 20 salmon all around 55-75cm, solid fish. These fish were caught on light flattie and bream setups using metals, big plastics and a rip off daiwa double clutch. 

Overall it was a great days fishing full of excitement, thanks for reading👍

image.png.d260083ee0a9f8eafc928f9e77b26726.pngimage.png.70c3b5fd280707bf64f6e77e9eece3dc.png

Great report! Lived beside the lake for my whole life, love it! Got good Salmon last year fishing with young cousins off Valentine Jetty.Overalll good report!

• Like 1