Newcastle fishing with poddies

Newyfisher

Hi Raiders

ive recently found a good spot to catch poddy mullet in the Newcastle area. I've tried using them in a few different spots live baiting but have not been successful landing any fish using them. I've had one hook up to a big sting ray I couldn't pull in. I was wondering if anyone in the Newcastle/lakemac area knows a good land based spot where these baits would be very effective

thanks in advance 

Hi Newy Fisher

I've used them in Lake Mac & Swansea on and off for a long time and have had very little luck.

I hear reports of people targeting flatties with them but for me it's almost at the point where I won't even bother using them. 

If you can find a place with a good concentration of flathead you'd be in with a shot. 

I may be wrong but I'd say it's because flathead don't move around much at all, so you need to cast pretty much on top of them at a time when they're keen to feed. That's the reason most people have converted to soft plastics, just for the ground you can cover.

The best place I know to use them if you're still keen is on the southern side of Newcastle Harbour from Queens Wharf right up to Nobby's Breakwall. As I said though I haven't had any consistent luck.

Best of luck mate.

Cheers, James

On 28 December 2016 at 6:30 PM, RexSenior said:

Hi Newy Fisher

I've used them in Lake Mac & Swansea on and off for a long time and have had very little luck.

I hear reports of people targeting flatties with them but for me it's almost at the point where I won't even bother using them. 

If you can find a place with a good concentration of flathead you'd be in with a shot. 

I may be wrong but I'd say it's because flathead don't move around much at all, so you need to cast pretty much on top of them at a time when they're keen to feed. That's the reason most people have converted to soft plastics, just for the ground you can cover.

The best place I know to use them if you're still keen is on the southern side of Newcastle Harbour from Queens Wharf right up to Nobby's Breakwall. As I said though I haven't had any consistent luck.

Best of luck mate.

Cheers, James

Thanks Rex, I'm guna give it a few more goes with a tiny tiny sinker (00) so they will move a fair bit around but stay on the bottom.  I think your right it's time I leant how to use soft plastics.

No worries.

I still don't use plastics myself however the evidence is pretty convincing.

For some reason I like sitting there watching a couple of rods on the beach, I may catch more working harder but I fish to get away from work.

Let us know how you go.

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 4:35 PM, Newyfisher said:

Thanks Rex, I'm guna give it a few more goes with a tiny tiny sinker (00) so they will move a fair bit around but stay on the bottom.  I think your right it's time I leant how to use soft plastics.

Hi,

I fish for flatties in Tuggerah Lakes, shore based. I started on SPs and was doing really well but over the last few years got sick of flogging the water to a foam with little result.

This summer I decided to switch to poddy mullet and couldn't be happier with the results.

Rather then bottom fish, I put the live poddy under my blackfish rig and let the float ensure my bait covers as much of the channel I am fishing as the outgoing tide drifts the bait along.

Might be worth a try. Look for a channel that drains off the sand flats on the runout tide or even the channels near Swansea might be worth a look...I don't fish up there so not sure on top locations.

Good luck.

KB

23 hours ago, Koalaboi said:

Hi,

I fish for flatties in Tuggerah Lakes, shore based. I started on SPs and was doing really well but over the last few years got sick of flogging the water to a foam with little result.

This summer I decided to switch to poddy mullet and couldn't be happier with the results.

Rather then bottom fish, I put the live poddy under my blackfish rig and let the float ensure my bait covers as much of the channel I am fishing as the outgoing tide drifts the bait along.

Might be worth a try. Look for a channel that drains off the sand flats on the runout tide or even the channels near Swansea might be worth a look...I don't fish up there so not sure on top locations.

Good luck.

KB

Thanks mate I'll give the float a try