Wollongong Whiting

Big Yella

Hey fellow fisherman, my first post on here as I'm a newbie, can't wait to get into all the action!

I've been fishing off puckeys beach there north of Wollongong quite a bit lately with some great success. Last week I went down at about 7am and using some squirt worms I pumped for bait, I bagged some decent whiting! The smallest was 30cm. The only time I've had trouble there is when the current is ripping through, though other than that it's been great.

2 hours ago, Big Yella said:

I did mate, though it says the file is too big too upload, I'll keep trying

If it's to big, get a free Photobucket account and paste the IMG code into the text box and bingo it will appear.

I fished the gutters just to the north of the lagoon, though I have fished the lagoon aswell. There is plenty of whiting in there, although  majority of them are very small. Also the odd solid flatty in there.

My last fish in the gutters at puckeys I caught 13 whiting, with the biggest being 35cm and the smallest being 30cm. I took 7 home and released the rest. 

I would love to get beach worms there, though I am not very good at it (last time I tried I spent nearly 2 hours for 1 worm)

Edited by Big Yella

4 minutes ago, StinkyDonut said:

I'm always looking for new spots... I'm guessing this is landbased? I may just catch the train this weekend and come down to Wollongong for a fish, would you care to join me? I've never caught decent whiting before :/ :(

:)

Yeah land based, get off train at fairy meadow, walk east along Elliot's road towards the ocean?.

If train don't stop, get off at nth Wollongong or Wollongong and jump on the free shuttle bus 55. 

Or get off at Thirroul for an all stops to Wollongong assuming you coming from Sydney. 

Edited by Lungfai76

3 hours ago, Big Yella said:

I fished the gutters just to the north of the lagoon, though I have fished the lagoon aswell. There is plenty of whiting in there, although  majority of them are very small. Also the odd solid flatty in there.

My last fish in the gutters at puckeys I caught 13 whiting, with the biggest being 35cm and the smallest being 30cm. I took 7 home and released the rest. 

I would love to get beach worms there, though I am not very good at it (last time I tried I spent nearly 2 hours for 1 worm)

Im no master but i learnt last year. Its almost as fun as getting the fish sometimes. I use the old luderick heads in my stink bag n that works well.  YouTube was helpful. Ill head out this week and the luderick fishing is a bit slow atm at my usual spots.

6 minutes ago, Lungfai76 said:

You can pump for worms in the lagoon, I used to pump for them at the channel, not sure how productive it is nowadays but if you stuck for bait or you run out there's that option.

Thanks mate, that's where I get the squirt worms, few decent ones, have been working a treat off the beach

13 hours ago, StinkyDonut said:

I'm always looking for new spots... I'm guessing this is landbased? I may just catch the train this weekend and come down to Wollongong for a fish, would you care to join me? I've never caught decent whiting before :/ :(

:)

I'd love to mate though I'm a chef so I work every weekend and only get to fish Monday/Tuesday. Let me know if you are ever free on a Monday or Tuesday and I'll definitely go for a fish

• 2 weeks later...