Just a PB? Or more than that..

fish-aholic

26th November

Three of my mates and me went to Nelson Bay for a weekend fishing trip. We started little bit late , around 1:30pm we found a nice local bait shop <name removed>. Matt from the bait shop is a guy with full of local knowledge and humour. We got few beach worms, salted pillies and prawns from him. We checked in to our Airbnb house around 3:30pm and was busy preparing dinner. Around 6:30-7pm just after dinner we thought to walk towards the beach and have some fun. 

While I was fixing my 9ft long 6-8kg beach rod, one of my mate started fishing with salted pilchard. I was still busy with my pre rigged paternoster rig where the top hook had a Zman Grubz 2.5inch lure, and got a live sand worm bait in the bottom hook and then at the very end 85g sinker. Approximately 350 meters of 20lb braided line were spool in a DAIWA EMCAST 4500 reel ( don’t laugh ; I know it’s a vintage reel). 

Just before I cast I saw another mate of mine is also using salted pillie. But he got a tiny little sinker, so I moved a little bit away from them to avoid tangled lines. It was hard to find gutter in the dark, kinda guessed looking at some wave breaking whitish looking areas and cast a bit further. 

Within a minute my reel started making the sweetest music that we all eagerly wait to hear. That ‘zzzzmmmm’ was a long one, approximately 250-300 metres line is already gone. I know I have set my drag close to 8-10kg; I shouldn’t go more than that. Dilemma ; heart beating like a drum, reel screaming like it’s never going to end, I’m screaming like I’m in a roller coaster. 

Then it stopped for a minute or two and I had a chance to reel back probably 30-40 meters only and it goes again. But this time not a long one. Only a small run; reel back again and run again… can’t remember how long that fight lasted. Last time I saw my watch to check that all live worms were still alive @7:12pm just before my set that worm in the hook and later I realised the first pic of the fish were clicked @9:10pm. So I definitely finished more than an hour of intense gym session with a 1.5 meters Jew. 

We had a measuring scale and it went exactly 1.5 but we couldn’t weigh. Later Matt from <name removed> told us it should weigh 34kg as per Jew fish growth rate. After gutting, bleeding we cut the beast into 3 big pieces to bring it home. Once we reached home , it placed in a scale to show 30.4kg. 

Many thanks to Matt from <name removed> and my mate @dlvbw Dunc who always pushed and helped me to understand fishing and write a fishing report. This one for you mate. 

FF694218-275B-4BC3-91DF-54D30FD8EF5E.jpeg

6DF4C170-2E9E-4E40-A0DB-A3AC31690B0C.jpeg

E36B94C8-F27B-4613-AAC6-289CF2E73244.jpeg

Edited by Little_Flatty
Please do not mention retailers
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 2

Well does it get any better? Great report and a fantastic Jewfish. I love it when an angler knows what they SHOULD be doing to land a decent fish. The temptation to put that bit of extra pressure on, in case it gets off, yet resisting and playing the fish, is always exciting. Well done. Hope it tasted good.

bn

• Thanks 1

Mate it was the REEL.

vintage reel vintage fish

if you want to catch a bigger Jew use an older reel lol. Well done on a spectacular fish. Some people dedicate huge amounts of time and money to get a fish half that size. You did it with one bait, one rod in one evening renting by a bnb. Buy a lottery ticket so you can retire 😆

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, Keflapod said:

Mate it was the REEL.

vintage reel vintage fish

if you want to catch a bigger Jew use an older reel lol. Well done on a spectacular fish. Some people dedicate huge amounts of time and money to get a fish half that size. You did it with one bait, one rod in one evening renting by a bnb. Buy a lottery ticket so you can retire 😆

In my workplace I have a guy who’s been working for 10 yrs on that same job ( but 4hrs each day / 3 days a week);

I got more experience than him giving more time and effort in 1 year. On my 3rd year I became his boss and he still believes I’m a lucky person. 

45 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Way to go @Reel’em, that is one good Jewie - thanks for sharing a great report and great pics - a fish of a lifetime. @dlvbw is certainly a top bloke and excellent fisho always willing to share, he will take great pleasure in your joy.

Cheers Bob,

we still got heaps to learn from ya; specially ‘banana’ trick ;)

1 hour ago, Bluebenbomb said:

Well done on the massive jew, what a monster! More than 1 hour of fighting that jew would have really tested your skill.

I think your jew (at 1.5m) is the fishraider record for bait, but I'm not sure about the site regulations, so it is probably best to check.

Ohh wow! Seriously? Who do I check with? My mate told me it should be “ a light tackle” record in the Nelson Bay LGA. But I have no clue, where / whom to contact.

Hey @Reel’em,

If you scroll down to the "Bait fishing records" at the very bottom of fishraider, you can press on the mulloway (jewfish) post. If you press it, you can see that the record is 29Kg. However, you need to submit your picture of the jewfish along with other details for it to be confirmed. You can do so by submitting it in another section right next to the "bait fishing records" section. Hope this helps.

This is what the section says in the "submit your record fish pics here" section.

image.thumb.png.7e99047644633aa5243117014c5e08af.png

I think @mrsswordfisherman or the other moderators will decide if its eligible or not.

Edited by Bluebenbomb
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/3/2022 at 12:39 PM, Larkin said:

Hi Reel’em you sure got a great fish - 1.5m Jew is a fish if a lifetime!

well done 👍

I’m curious with worms as bait, what size hook you were using?

Sorry for late reply mate. I was using 6/0 size hooks in a paternoster rig. One long sand worm was used in one hook. Other hook had a soft plastic lure.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/30/2022 at 4:45 PM, Bluebenbomb said:

Hey @Reel’em,

If you scroll down to the "Bait fishing records" at the very bottom of fishraider, you can press on the mulloway (jewfish) post. If you press it, you can see that the record is 29Kg. However, you need to submit your picture of the jewfish along with other details for it to be confirmed. You can do so by submitting it in another section right next to the "bait fishing records" section. Hope this helps.

This is what the section says in the "submit your record fish pics here" section.

image.thumb.png.7e99047644633aa5243117014c5e08af.png

I think @mrsswordfisherman or the other moderators will decide if its eligible or not.

Thanks for that and yes, I have decided that it is certainly worthy of record entry

Well done MD and great report.  

• Like 1