upgrading my bait rods

mii11x

Hi everyone,

I currently have two Wilson Live Fibres, RLF17 (6-8kg) and ZWS65XJ (10-15kg), that I use to catch mulloway with live and dead baits and they have never let me down.  I fit Shimano Baitrunner 6500b and Daiwa Saltiga Surf 6000 reels to them.  They are used from my boat.

I have been thinking about purchasing/upgrading to Wilson Texalium gold 8-15kg  RLFTX08.  Has anyone got this rod?  Keen for your thoughts guys, particularly regarding cast weights.  Will they be overloaded with say 40-100gram sinkers with a live yakka(to 20cm), live tailor(30cm+) or squid(dead/alive) attached.  I wont be going for any record casting distances since im on a boat, so they will generally be thrown out about 10m away, with depths of 5-20m.

Cheers

Mick

Edited by mii11x

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/01/2017 at 1:26 PM, mii11x said:

I have been thinking about purchasing/upgrading to Wilson Texalium gold 8-15kg  RLFTX08.  Has anyone got this rod?  Keen for your thoughts guys, particularly regarding cast weights.  Will they be overloaded with say 40-100gram sinkers with a live yakka(to 20cm), live tailor(30cm+) or squid(dead/alive) attached.  I wont be going for any record casting distances since im on a boat, so they will generally be thrown out about 10m away, with depths of 5-20m.

It would be similar to your current  ZWS65XJ (10-15kg) . So i think it will be fine

The jungle stix mentioned above would be too stiff and short as its a deep jigging rod

cheers guys, but i received them today in the post, got two the same - well they are meant to be the same, however, they are different.  The models are the same on each tag, the models on the rods are the same, but the barcodes on the tags are different.  The guides are different and have different spacing.  Ill take some photos tomorrow and post them up, maybe I am just being anal, but would be keen to hear your thoughts.  

I will contact the store in coffs and I will probably contact Wilson direct as well regarding the differences - obviously one is an older model.

Happy, but unhappy at the same time

I emailed Wilson fishing today and I am waiting for a response regarding the subtle differences between the two "same" rods.

I thought I took a photo starting from the butt end, but mustn't have.  While the reel seats are exactly the same (model number is stamped on them), the butts/lower grip and upper grip length, the grips themselves and reel seat position aren't quite the same on both rods either.  

The guides are in different positions as you can see from the photos below.  They are both Fuji components but slightly different models of guides.  The size of the guides on both rods appears to be the same judging by the numbers stamped on them.

Looking at the tags, and the barcode in particular, the numbers are different.  The same model number - RLFTXG08 - is printed on both tags.

And finally, the gold colour is slightly different.

If you were expecting two of the exact same rod, would this bother you guys? Or am I being pedantic?  To be honest, I would probably never notice any of these differences while using them.

WP_20170202_19_08_13_Pro111111111.jpg

WP_20170202_19_08_17_Pro111111111.jpgWP_20170202_19_08_20_Pro11111111.jpgWP_20170202_19_08_24_Pro11111111.jpgWP_20170202_19_08_46_Pro1111111.jpg