lifejacket requirement

mii11x

Hi everyone,

So after a much heated debate on a local tackle stores facebook page, I got booted for pointing out a requirement to wear a lifejacket at night.  

Someone please correct me if I wrong, less than 4.8m - two people on board - at night - need to wear pfd's greater than 50s.

It quite clearly states this on page 22 of the boating handbook if anyone would like to check.

Or have my mates and I been wearing them to look pretty at night on my 4.5m boat.

For the record, I wont be supporting the local store anymore and I always went to him for advice/tackle/bait

Cheers guys

Mick

Yes your right, I assume you have pointed out to them to look this up on the RMS sight.

When they realise their mistake they should give you a big discount and invite you back explaining how wrong they were and how right you were. :-rolleyes

1 hour ago, Raymondo said:

You can never be wrong advocating donning a PFD , law or not its always the right thing to do. Facebook's for selfie taking wankers , Fishraider's where it's at. ^_^

Very good Raymondo I do agree we have a lot of credibility on this site. The information here is usually spot on ;)

6 hours ago, mii11x said:

Hi everyone,

So after a much heated debate on a local tackle stores facebook page, I got booted for pointing out a requirement to wear a lifejacket at night.  

Someone please correct me if I wrong, less than 4.8m - two people on board - at night - need to wear pfd's greater than 50s.

It quite clearly states this on page 22 of the boating handbook if anyone would like to check.

Or have my mates and I been wearing them to look pretty at night on my 4.5m boat.

For the record, I wont be supporting the local store anymore and I always went to him for advice/tackle/bait

Cheers guys

Mick

I know the store your on about Mick.

Like the others said it is a requirement for all on board to where pfds from Dusk till dawn on the size vessels we both own.

It would also be helpful to other boaters if people displayed appropriate Navigation lights on their vessel at those times also as they're also compulsory for all boats.I'm yet to see everyone out complying on both accounts when I've gone out at night. I nearly ran over a idiot at Yowie bay one night in a smaller tinny than mine going full pelt.All that saved him was I saw the glow from his cigarette at the last minute and turned away.

This imbecile was shirtless and had no pfd or displayed nav lights.

8 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Like the others said it is a requirement for all on board to where pfds from Dusk till dawn on the size vessels we both own.

It would also be helpful to other boaters if people displayed appropriate Navigation lights on their vessel at those times also as they're also compulsory for all boats.I'm yet to see everyone out complying on both accounts when I've gone out at night. I nearly ran over a idiot at Yowie bay one night in a smaller tinny than mine going full pelt.All that saved him was I saw the glow from his cigarette at the last minute and turned away.

Oh Fab don't get me started on nav light use, lol. The only positive I see these morons provide is good subject matter for the morning smoko rant , lololol.

25 minutes ago, Raymondo said:

Oh Fab don't get me started on nav light use, lol. The only positive I see these morons provide is good subject matter for the morning smoko rant , lololol.

It's like anything I guess isn't it?There's  people that will go above and beyond to comply with the rules and regulations,There's the ones that try to,and those that simply don't care and will eventually become a statistic.

The same goes to the idiots fishing off ramps,wharfs and pontoons when you come in to use them.They must think your coming over to have a chat on how their fishing is going.They too will become a statistic if they don't wind their lines in when asked.

Cheers.

16 hours ago, mii11x said:

Hi everyone,

Cheers guys

Mick

Hey Mick,

You're spot on mate. Dusk to dawn life jackets are mandatory. I seen Martime pull up people at the spit at 3am for not wearing life jackets.

Dave

Thanks for the comments fellas, all i was trying to say was that you DO actually have to wear one, then well all the smart arse comments began, well I defended myself and perhaps used language that was a little too colourful which is why im probably booted.

Oh well, no sleep lost by me.  I always do the right thing, and try to tell people when they are doing the wrong thing, but hey, what do i know

21 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Hacking is full of idiots at night, actually so too is the goerges.  I too have almost ran into people (ahem......cough cough.........idiots).  Oh Lord give me strength hahahahaha

I cant believe he (the owner) was actually agreeing with the post replies to me

2 minutes ago, mii11x said:

Hacking is full of idiots at night, actually so too is the goerges.  I too have almost ran into people (ahem......cough cough.........idiots).  Oh Lord give me strength hahahahaha

I cant believe he (the owner) was actually agreeing with the post replies to me

Don't worry about it mate.Like you said as long as you do the right thing is all that matters and eventually those idiots that guys try to educate will get run over or worse.

Surely you won't get banned.

9 minutes ago, Manaz said:

Nav lights - I run mine during the day.  I don't yet have a mast-head light, so I don't yet take the boat out between dusk and dawn.

Need to figure out a good way to get a mast-head onto my SR17... :)

People tend to forget that they are a requirement in ALL low visibility scenarios such as fog etc not just at night.

I had a situation where I was motoring at night when up ahead I could see a boat crossing my path with it's port light lit up.

No big deal you'd think,but the problem was it was traveling left to right.

It either was a very fast boat in reverse or my educated guess was his nav lights had been installed the wrong way round.

Guess what?After chasing and waving the owner down and a few Q's later I was informed he was a new boater and the lights came with his boat from the dealer like that.I nearly fell over nearly as much as when I lifted the floor on my tinny on its maiden voyage home from the dealer to find a rusty tape measure,screws and rivets in the bottom of the Hull.

Then people ask me why I do all my own work and if I don't know I will do everything I can to learn.

Be careful guys it does happen.