Tinny purchase

Swaz

Hi all. A bit of background to give you context. Some of the happiest times with my dad were in a boat fishing or boating. We have access to a 4.8m Baymaster boat located a few hours away at the family holiday house. It's a chore to put in the water and out again. I have two kids 8 & 6 who are into fishing, boating and being outside and a wife who is into being outside. I've got them into using soft plastic so I don't have to use bait.

I am now on the hunt for a tinny to take out on days where the wife is working or after school. Not only for fishing but for exploring as well. I have set a budget of $2k for initial purchase in case my bright idea of family time doesn't work out. I've found a few in my price range and I am after advice on a) what to look for when inspecting them. Do I ask to have them out on the water? 2) I am looking at boats with a floor already installed, ones that come with all the bits and pieces like oars, anchor, lights etc but is there anything else I should look for?

Suitability and reliability are what you need to look for Swaz.

Suitability... It needs to be big enough and rated for 4 people. This would normally mean a boat of 4.2 m (minimum) with (at least) 20 - 25HP motor. That would accommodate you, your wife and the 2 kids. Don't forget that the kids will grow, so a bit of extra room and engine power is better than not enough.

Reliability...make sure you definitely have a test drive and check out the trailer, as well as the boat. The trailer needs to be registered and roadworthy (lights and indicators working, not rusted out, etc). The boat needs to have a big enough motor, paddles, anchor, bow rope, working navigation lights, 4x current life jackets...just to start with. That should get you started. Good luck in your search. Hope you all end up having lots of Family fun on the water. BN

2 hours ago, big Neil said:

Suitability and reliability are what you need to look for Swaz.

Suitability... It needs to be big enough and rated for 4 people. This would normally mean a boat of 4.2 m (minimum) with (at least) 20 - 25HP motor. That would accommodate you, your wife and the 2 kids. Don't forget that the kids will grow, so a bit of extra room and engine power is better than not enough.

Reliability...make sure you definitely have a test drive and check out the trailer, as well as the boat. The trailer needs to be registered and roadworthy (lights and indicators working, not rusted out, etc). The boat needs to have a big enough motor, paddles, anchor, bow rope, working navigation lights, 4x current life jackets...just to start with. That should get you started. Good luck in your search. Hope you all end up having lots of Family fun on the water. BN

A boat that big huh, wow, that is longer than I have been looking at. Might have to borrow a mates boat to test out how we go.

On 05/03/2017 at 7:18 AM, Swaz said:

Hi all. A bit of background to give you context. Some of the happiest times with my dad were in a boat fishing or boating. We have access to a 4.8m Baymaster boat located a few hours away at the family holiday house. It's a chore to put in the water and out again. I have two kids 8 & 6 who are into fishing, boating

Why is the 4.8m boat a chore to put in and out?

If the 4.8mtr is a chore, you will use the Old Tinny less as you still have to launch but has less room and less stability.

a smaller tinny will be the same to put in and out but be worse as everyone cannot move around due to being smaller length, narrower beam and most likely lower sides if it a older boat.

i had a 4.3mtr tinny with 25hp and with the wife and kids in it was fine going to and from but fishing was a bit of a pain, especially if someone wanted to move or stand up.

Edited by jeffb5.8

Guest Guest123456789

You definitely can fish from a 4.3 tinny with a wife and 2 kids, but it needs to be tiller steer. A console or windscreen takes up too much space so you then need a 4.8 or greater as others here have mentioned. My brother has a Haines hunter 4.8 forward control and takes his family out all the time. Here is my 4.3 tinny with the crew. A big bean bag goes a long way. Only problem which is also relevant for you is the 30 is underpowered for tubing. I will upgrade it when the kids are older to a 40 so we can tube.

IMG_0304.JPG

Just a note his budget of $2k, So the boat and engine are going to be a 1980's to 1990's model with lower sides, less deep V and usually heavier.

My Tips:

1. Get the newest package possible, especially one with a re powered motor

2. Stay with a tiller Steer for extra room

3. Adding flooring is only a couple of hundred

4. Check trailer for rust and maintenance as this can add up and make you spend heaps,

When buying 2nd hand, add up all the things you want to change with the boat your thinking of buying, repairs, tidying up, rewiring, adding accessories, Safety gear needed and you may find you would be better buying a $3,500 tinny with this gear than the old $2,000 tinny.

I upgraded to my bow rider, because the low sides of my $2k tinny made me nervous when the kids where standing up, plus i am 6ft 2' and 110kg, so me just leaning over to wash my hands made everyone nervous.

Bar a disability / injury, old age or a poor maintained trailer the 4.8mtr should be a breeze to launch and not to bad to retrieve, good arm work out unless you get a electric winch,

I launch my 5.5 bowrider solo and the older kids (10G & 9B) make it easier as they hand ropes, hold ropes and set up the bumpers when coming to a wharf. They also love helping and each time get more confident and skilled so i don't even have to ask.

My poor wife asked what she can do and my daughter, replied its alright mum i got this.

Edited by jeffb5.8
Spelling and making it clearer

3 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

Just a note his budget of $2k, So the boat and engine are going to be a 1980's to 1990's model with lower sides, less deep V and usually heavier.

My Tips:

1. Get the newest package possible, especially one with a re powered motor

2. Stay with a tiller Steer for extra room

3. Adding flooring is only a couple of hundred

4. Check trailer for rust and maintenance as this can add up and make you spend heaps,

When buying 2nd hand, add up all the things you want to change with the boat, repair or accessories needed and you may find you would be better buying a $3,500 tinny over the run down old $2,000 tinny.

I upgrade to my bow rider, because the low sides of my $2k tinny made me nervous when the kids where standing up, plus i am 6ft 2' and 110kg, so me just leaning over to wash my hands made everyone nervous.

Bar a disability / injury, old age or a poor maintained trailer the 4.8mtr should be a breeze to launch and not to bad to retrieve, good arm work out unless you get a electric winch,

I launch my 5.5 bowrider solo and the older kids (10G & 9B) make it easier as they hand ropes, hold ropes and set up the bumpers when coming to a wharf. They also love helping and each time get more confident and skilled so i don't even have to ask.

My poor wife asked what she can do and my daughter, replied its alright mum i got this.

Some good advice there Jeff.