Long reef tutor?

krause

Hi all,

Looking for help with Long Reef. Me and a few other yak members wondering long and hard about it as a viable destination. But first lots of learning to do to make it successful, and more importantly safe. Looking for people that know the area to shoot me a pm. Im looking for tips and techniques, recent success and reliability, and gps marks that bound the reef (not secret honey holes) so that we can identify it. Not so easy to cruise around and find in a yak, easier to have a map. Try and keep it too pm's for the sake of all, and i acknowledge ive done no research as of yet.... :( 

Thanks guys

9 hours ago, krause said:

Hi all,

Looking for help with Long Reef. Me and a few other yak members wondering long and hard about it as a viable destination. But first lots of learning to do to make it successful, and more importantly safe. Looking for people that know the area to shoot me a pm. Im looking for tips and techniques, recent success and reliability, and gps marks that bound the reef (not secret honey holes) so that we can identify it. Not so easy to cruise around and find in a yak, easier to have a map. Try and keep it too pm's for the sake of all, and i acknowledge ive done no research as of yet.... :( 

Thanks guys

I haven't yakked it but have fished it land based and dived quite a bit. Launch at Fishermans Beach Collaroy right at the eastern end of the beach would be easiest. Fair bit of shallow water both sides of the reef that can break in swells, avoid the south side in south swells - (good surf break there however called butterbox) and maybe give it a miss if it is over 6ft - there are some bombies a fair way out from the reef on all sides that can break.

Don't have any GPS marks for you i'm afraid! Good tip if you are considering safety is to walk up to the lookout at the end and have a look around for half hour or so.

Hi Krause

Long reef is a very productive fishing system and a great place for kayaks when the conditions are right.

Ive attached a picture of long reef and this is available on google, i have marks on my gps but am out of the country at the moment so i can PM u more details.

none the less the picture is telling, you will find most days people fishing "long reef drift" along the deeper side of the drop off from the reef. Anywhere along the edge of the reef will put u in with a chance of catching some fish in particular kings...

Depending on the swell height and direction certain parts of long reef should be avoided especially with a kayak though if your staying along the deeper drops offs allong the edge of the reef you should be safe.

ive drifted the areas north of "long reef drift and for flathead and some days snapper are there too but you will need to burley to get them excited.

IMG_7765.PNG

Edited by GoingFishing

If you are after kings longie fires best when the current is running north-south, it can be very dead when its the other way around. Quite often the kings will be stacked up well off the reef to the north (usually away from the crowds) , only issue is that in a yak thats probably a fair old paddle. Snapper can be anywhere but again concentrate on the gravel edges , the hard parts of the reef hold lots of rubbish fish, start early in the morning in the shallow parts and move deeper as the sun rises higher. 

On 01/05/2017 at 6:53 PM, rickmarlin62 said:

I just bought navionics aus &nz on my fone..the detail is incredible..check it out it shows all drop-offs rises and holes..rick

It's a great app. 

It Costs $26 for 365 days

Edited by Trailcraft43

years ago when I used to fish long reef in a yak with my dad, fresh squid drifted around on jigheads always seemed to work pretty well. Especially on snapper but also kingfish at times. Fish for squid the night before in the harbour, then use it at dawn at long reef. If you get a big calamari put one big tentacle on a 3/8 ounce jig head. Almost always produced a nice fish.

And just use the navionics map to find the reef. Theres usually atleast 10 other boats out there so shouldnt be too hard to find

goodluck!