Meter Jew

GreasePit

G'day raiders,

Went out to berowra again today to target jewies for what seems like my 100th trip.

Stopped off at my usual bait grounds to stock the live well with a few mullet and only managed one in two hours (usually have at least 10 by then).

With the change of tide approaching I decided to go with plan b and drift for Jews in the deeper holes of the estuary with soft vibes. 

Tied on a dark natural coloured vibe with red eyes onto my 4-6kg rod with a 3000 reel and 10lb braid with a 20lb leader, mostly expecting to nab a few flatties.

The wind was down and the drifts were very slow around that tide change and about 30 minutes after a flash downpour I start to see a few big blotches on the sounder down deep.

3rd drift through I feel the most subtle tick on the line and strike, followed by a blazing run and some big tail beats.

I've lost fish before on vibes pulling hooks, so I loosen that drag up a touch and play the fish for the next 20 odd minutes, getting towed along about 60 meters away from where we started.

I get the fish boat side and finally confirm it's a Jew. By that time it was exhausted and turned on its side, I try net it but the net wasn't big enough and it merely wakes the fish up again. A few more nervous seconds later I get it back to the surface and go for the gaff instead. After a few failed attempts using a blunt gaff, I sling it underneath it's gills and hoist it up into the boat.

It measured 102cm and 10kgs. IMG_4253.JPGIMG_4247.JPGIMG_4260.JPG

That's an excellent report and a great result Grease Pit. It must have been starving. Great angling skills too, getting it to the boat. Maybe an investment in a larger net would be good, don't want to lose a fish like that mate. BN

Cheers raiders :thumbup:

On 5/13/2017 at 5:47 AM, big Neil said:

That's an excellent report and a great result Grease Pit. It must have been starving. Great angling skills too, getting it to the boat. Maybe an investment in a larger net would be good, don't want to lose a fish like that mate. BN

Yeah definitely the first purchase on my list.
I think my heart will go into cardiac arrest if i hook a bigger one and i'm not more equipped to deal with it.

13 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

Were you in Berowra Creek or out in the Hawkesbury?   A beautiful looking

fish. ^_^

I was in the creek.
Plenty of smaller models under 60cm in there but this is the first time i've seen one over a meter.

17 hours ago, Mike89 said:

Awesome fish mate, interested how you work those lures.

Great job and congrats on cracking the metre mark!

Hey mate

The soft vibes are incredibly easy to use.

I was working them on a drift, so a simple drop to the bottom, lift about a meter to a meter and a half off the bottom which will impart a vibrating action on the lure, followed by a very controlled drop back down to feel any hits.

The tap was very subtle so I think the key is to have constant contact with the lure.

Best of luck mate

-Chris

45 minutes ago, tyrone07 said:

How deep were you fishing mate I didn't think the creek had to many deeper holes

30 odd foot of water but there is a bunch of shallow water around it.
By no means the deepest section, just good structure for the fish to keep out of the current.
Didn't get it in the middle of the hole, more so on the edges.