Port Stephens

Scratchie

G'day raiders, 

Just a quick report from up here!

I haven't really had a chance to fish lately for various reasons and after reading many of your reports, I found a two hour window this morning to go for a short flick! 

With the ground swell pumping the rocks were a no go zone, so I decided to grab the flatty stick and walk a few beaches in the bay! After casting for an hour with no luck, I forgot what a bite felt like! Anyway, I eventually found them and some gave a good account of themselves! Ended up with 5 in the next hour with a few dropsies in between. The first one really wanted that zman!!! 

IMG_0399.JPGIMG_0404.JPG

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Good work there Scratchie, always good to have the flatties oblige and hook up.

Looking out the mouth of Port Hacking this morning, it appeared a little lumpy, and the bay surf was working with a few paddle boarders catching a wave or 2.

Onya mate, did u carry a bag or did u look like huckleberry Finn walking home with all your fish?

shoal bay point to stones  is my favourite flaty flicking beach, glad to see they are still on. 

Cheers guys! 

Ribs, I didn't take anything with me other than the rod and sp I had on it. All fish were released. I went and had a look at shoaly but it was the last of the runout and it was filthy and plenty of weed. 

5 hours ago, big Neil said:

Great photo Scratchie...nice session too. BN

5 hours ago, Regan said:

i love the first pic of the first flattie

Cheers guys! Yep, got out my artistic side on that photo! :) 

39 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

Nice effort there, Jeff! It was about this time 3 years ago (according to my Facebook feed) that we were getting good lizards up around Wanda Beach.  I'll have to get out there!

Really Baz? Mate good time for fishing this area at the moment. All species on the cards! 

8 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

heading for shoal bay for the wknd..missus booked us into the caravan park for my bday..sneaking a flick stik in and give the flatties a go along shoalie tomorrow...hope they are hungry...rick

good luck

9 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

heading for shoal bay for the wknd..missus booked us into the caravan park for my bday..sneaking a flick stik in and give the flatties a go along shoalie tomorrow...hope they are hungry...rick

Good luck Rick! There's a few about there, if not try the foreshore from fly point up to the breakwall. 

just got home had two short sessions 1 tailer and 1 dropped flattie..was too interested in drinkin to spend too much time..lots of weed in shoalie...wish id taken boat sat was a cracker day..back up there soon then the snapper better watch out..rick

On 25/05/2017 at 8:51 PM, Scratchie said:

Really Baz? Mate good time for fishing this area at the moment. All species on the cards! 

Yeah, so I gather from all the reports I'm getting. I haven't put the boat in for a couple of weeks but I've had a few quick flicks from the shore down the end of my street and I'm determined to get into the blackfish for a while. Been busy trying to get the new house and garden sorted and settling into my job here in Port. Guess I gotta earn those brownie points to get a trip out! I'd like to get a few snapper too and finally make that trip to Broughton. Did you see that longtail tuna those guys caught off the beach at Hawks Nest the other day?!

7 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Yeah, so I gather from all the reports I'm getting. I haven't put the boat in for a couple of weeks but I've had a few quick flicks from the shore down the end of my street and I'm determined to get into the blackfish for a while. Been busy trying to get the new house and garden sorted and settling into my job here in Port. Guess I gotta earn those brownie points to get a trip out! I'd like to get a few snapper too and finally make that trip to Broughton. Did you see that longtail tuna those guys caught off the beach at Hawks Nest the other day?!

No mate I didn't. I assume they'll disappear now with the colder water. Gotta get yourself to Broughton Baz! The snapper will be chewing! 

On 5/30/2017 at 5:54 AM, Scratchie said:

No mate I didn't. I assume they'll disappear now with the colder water. Gotta get yourself to Broughton Baz! The snapper will be chewing! 

Do you think I  need to take extra fuel for a run to Broughton? I have a 50 litre underfloor tank and run a 60hp ETEC,

I still have your marks in the bay - "Marker 92" and your "Snapper Mark".  Have you had any luck there of late?

A mate at work has been getting a few reds and trag at the Uralla Wreck, which I gather is down from Boat Harbour?

hey berley guts  I run an older 2stroke 60hp yammie on a seafarer vsea 4.8...average trip to broughton with some running round and I fish the northern side most times  I use 30/35 ltrs average...depending on how much you run round up there I would say you should have plenty..if in doubt take a ten ltr  container with you as I think you would prob only use 25ltrs for my normal trip..etec 60 should use heaps less than mine...rick

11 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Do you think I  need to take extra fuel for a run to Broughton? I have a 50 litre underfloor tank and run a 60hp ETEC,

I still have your marks in the bay - "Marker 92" and your "Snapper Mark".  Have you had any luck there of late?

A mate at work has been getting a few reds and trag at the Uralla Wreck, which I gather is down from Boat Harbour?

Hey baz, Rick is spot on! I use about 25lt if I put in at shoal bay and I also have two 25lt tanks but my engine is a two stroke 75 merc. 

Uralla wreck is down my way and from shoaly would be way further than Broughton! 

And sorry mate, haven't been out for a while just fishing from the stones! 

14 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

hey berley guts  I run an older 2stroke 60hp yammie on a seafarer vsea 4.8...average trip to broughton with some running round and I fish the northern side most times  I use 30/35 ltrs average...depending on how much you run round up there I would say you should have plenty..if in doubt take a ten ltr  container with you as I think you would prob only use 25ltrs for my normal trip..etec 60 should use heaps less than mine...rick

11 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Hey baz, Rick is spot on! I use about 25lt if I put in at shoal bay and I also have two 25lt tanks but my engine is a two stroke 75 merc. 

Uralla wreck is down my way and from shoaly would be way further than Broughton! 

And sorry mate, haven't been out for a while just fishing from the stones! 

6 hours ago, back cruncher said:

Hi all...berleyguts,I've got a 130hp etec on a 6m plate boat and never used more than 30 litres.

Thanks guys! I'll take a 10 litre jerry at least, I think. I believe in allowing for 1/3 there, 1/3 back and 1/3 in reserve. I usually launch at Soldiers Point because it's an easier launch solo. I the run as fast as I can to the heads. I mainly troll the headlands from Tomaree to Fingal and also around Boondelbah and Little Island. I can use 25 litres in the day.

i wish there was somewhere to tie up at Shoalie while I park/retrieve the trailer!