Barra Duck broken

antonywardle

Hi All

I got the chance to head up to Darwin to chase the Barra. Last year was a "dry" wet season and that meant that the Barra were hard to find. I ended

up with a treble in my hand and not much else. This year, there was plenty of water so the run off was promising to be excellent. We arrived at a very

nice look boat ramp on the Daley River and proceeded to drive 3 hours down stream to the mother ship.

D1.jpg

Then we were off fishing. I managed to get my first ever Barra, a 50 cm. Quick photo and back in the water

D2.jpg

Then over the next few days, I caught some more including this 65cm keeper

d5.jpg

Very happy with that. Managed to get a few new species on my list, including a 3 1/2 metre lemon shark, a parrot fish and a tricky snapper.

d3.jpgd4.jpgd8.jpg 

There is a nice spot called Red cliffs where we tried trawling. Got on to a couple of nice Barra, but ended up losing them and half a dozen lures when they

took off around the rocks. Still Its a nice looking place.

d7.jpg

Anyway, I had a great time and hoping to get back there next year.

thanks for reading!

d6.jpg

Antony

Sounds like a great adventure and a successful trip! Good to break the duck, then you start to enjoy the fishing a bit more. A good selection of other species there as well and looks like the conditions were pleasant as well.

SImilar species to what I caught on a trip to Weipa a few weeks ago. That 'parrot fish' looks like a black spot tusk fish - top quality eating and they fight hard for their size.

Cheers

Phil

Great report mate. That entire experience is on my bucket list, but unlikely to happen. Your report emphasises just how good these trips can be. Great photos too! Cheers, BN

Edited by big Neil
additional information.