Tides weather etc

Bryson

just go straight to the BOM website- all those apps are simply using derivative information supplied to them by either the BOM or worse from NOAA (US Govt ). Apps are a guide at best and often wrong. Fish Ranger is at least using BOM info and claims to be more accurate than the BOM Meteye but if you are fishing offshore learn how to read a synoptic chart and read up on some info on the general weather patterns of the east coast of Australia. 

i use all 3 apps BOM, willyweather & seabreeze, i check all 3 and make a decision from the combined information i get from them, i find to BOM app to be pretty lacking on the relevant information i need for fishing, the willyweather app to normally be pretty accurate  as is the seabreeze one

I use a combination of the three listed below. Always assume it will be at least worst case to start with and anything better is a bonus. Never go wide in a westerly if you are counting on it backing off to get home, sometimes the weather doesn't read the same forecast, i know people who have had 3+ hour trips home from Browns by flying out with a westerly in the morning and assuming it will drop for home time.

In short i think Sea Breeze gives you an idea of how bad it might be (estimates seem to be at the higher end of the range), Willy Weather seems to be closer to what it actually is or will be (estimates seem to be close to the middle range of what it actually is). both these are inshore forecasts only. MetEye through the BOM website shows offshore as well and is great.

On MetEye you can also see two swells and wind wave height to get an idea of how lumpy the ocean might actually be. For example it might only be a 1-1.2m swell predicted but you might have two swells and the wind all going in different directions which is a whole other story to a long period 1-1.2m swell with light wind. Also keep take into account weather leading up to your trip. For example it might be predicted to be light winds and the swell is meant to have dropped early on the morning you are fishing but if it has been blowing 15-20kts from the southeast all night before hand, chances are there will be hangover chop from the southeast and lumps for the first few hours at least. This is because the chop and waves already created before the wind dropped need to run their course, if they are fighting a northeast swell or going against a strong north to south current then it might be lumpier again.

Meteye link below. Play around with the different options as there are different ways of viewing the same data.

http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/meteye/?ref=ftr