jenk98

Hi Raiders,

I'd like to open up a discussion about snapper fishing and moon phases.

Over the last year or so I have been putting quite a bit of time into my snapper fishing and today really set home that I think moon phases play a very big part on feeding habits.

Today is the day before the full moon and it was apparent that spots I fished last week and good success on did not fish the same today at all. I have noticed that the fish are not sounding the same and not schooling the same. Fish were very patchy and quite finicky.

Does anybody have any personal experiences they would like to share.

DM me if you're not comfortable sharing with everyone as I know how much hard work and time goes into documenting this kind of information. I like sharing info with like minded people 👌🏼

Tight lines 🎣

3 hours ago, jenk98 said:

Hi Raiders,

I'd like to open up a discussion about snapper fishing and moon phases.

Over the last year or so I have been putting quite a bit of time into my snapper fishing and today really set home that I think moon phases play a very big part on feeding habits.

Today is the day before the full moon and it was apparent that spots I fished last week and good success on did not fish the same today at all. I have noticed that the fish are not sounding the same and not schooling the same. Fish were very patchy and quite finicky.

Does anybody have any personal experiences they would like to share.

DM me if you're not comfortable sharing with everyone as I know how much hard work and time goes into documenting this kind of information. I like sharing info with like minded people 👌🏼

Tight lines 🎣

Im also convinced that moon has a big impact on snapper fishing.

Exactly how ? Im not sure yet. I suspect it has something to do with schooling/swarming of bait which follows lunar cycle. Which in turn causes the snapper to school rather than spread out.

so far i beleive snapper fishing after a full moon is best

• Thanks 1

Yes moon phases play a big part of where the fish will be, not so much how the fish act, weather they will hunt/eat or be somewhat timid.

The closer to full or new moon the larger the tides, more water movement more surge hitting the rocks or reef.

Sunrise sunset also play a major part with how fish behave. Combine sun and moon phases and you get a huge variety in water movement.

Lets take outside fishing, open water where there is a slow but steady rise/fall of the ocean floor without structure, I regard this the same as being on a highway between two cities/towns where you get the traffic just flowing along with very little activity, you will get the occasional vehicle parked to the side of the road doing their thing, ( these are the Flathead ) but not often, then all of a sudden you come across a McDonalds service center where huge amounts of vehicles have pulled up for fuel or eats, this is to a fish moving between locations and finding a reef. Ever noticed how there is usually more cars during daylight then night, also week days compared to week ends, well during the week is the half moon phases and during the week ends is the full/New moon phases.

During high water movements fish will congregate on the lee side of the reef/island etc where their is less surge to compete with  and when the moon is in it's smaller sizes hence less surge water movement fish will venture out to the rough side of the reef .

Ever been on the rocks at waters edge an observed crabs and what they do when a surge of water flows over the rock, they stop and hang on, yes they do !!. sometimes the crab looses it's footing or miss times the surge and gets flown away by the surge, and it's at this point there will be a fish waiting for a quick snack.

Fish wait just outside crevasses and such waiting for food to be dislodged from where it is hanging on.

So in summary fish DON"T go off the bite they just move positions. 

If you fish a spot on the rough side of a reef/island and you are doing it hard as last week it was a great spot. Go to the other side of the island/reef and give that a go.

Some will argue my points here but it's what I believe.

Frank

Edited by frankS
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

About the only thing different fishing during a full moon for Snapper is, there is more Pike and Tailor during the summer, why? maybe they move out further during the full moon period, but Snapper, I have never noticed more or less and that's after decades of Snapper fishing, I just fish when I can.

• Like 1