Close call rock fishing!

LuckyFil

Went for a fish this arvo at North Avalon rocks. No luck with the target species (Drummer) just a few kelpies and other reefies. But I was VERY lucky in another respect. On the walk back along the base of the cliff I noticed a few small pebbles  landing near me and I thought some kids must be throwing rocks off the cliff above, I looked up but no sign of anyone. I had another thought that maybe some of the overhead rocks might be starting to fall away so quickened my pace as much as I could, but having to scramble over and down big and small boulders meant I couldn't go that fast. I then head a massive 'BOOM' like a huge wave hitting the shore but the swell wan't that big. I looked back and didn't seen anything but knew it wasn't a wave and must have been a large rock falling onto the platform where I'd just been.

I then raced as fast as I could manage as there was a lot of rocky overhangs where I was walking and no other way to walk other than close to the cliff wall. Another 20 or 30 meters and then another massive BOOM. I look back and saw an enormous amount of rock and rubble falling and sliding down the cliff face across the path I'd been on 20 seconds beforehand. I was shitting myself by now and kept belting along as quickly as I could while trying not to trip and fall and was soon past the worst section of overhangs. Not long after I met anther fisho who was on a clear platform and he commented on hearing the crashes and saw the splashes as the rocks hit the water.

So no fish today but feeling pretty bloody lucky.

I always assumed that rock falls followed periods of heavy rain or when huge seas were pounding the shore but neither was the case today, so don't know what to think of it.

I won't be fishing there for a while but am interested to go back at some stage to see what I missed, or more correctly what missed me!

LuckyFil   

that is very scary - I had a small rockfall come down near me  - but I was on a very wide platform at the time, and not near the rockface.  that was scary enough for me!  I think rockfalls on the cliffs are probably more common that we'd like to believe; there is also the huge rockfall at north head that came down last year.  I wonder whether dry weather is more of a cause than wet?

Pretty lucky that sounds way too close for comfort. A tourist watching the sun rise just there died not so long ago when the rock he was standing on slipped over the edge. His mate scrambled off as it was falling. 

Yeah i would have thought rain and big seas would cause rock falls but its been really dry for months now. Sandstone is pretty weak and soft as far as rock goes. 

18 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Just seen it on the news! That was a massive rock fall. Your a lucky man! Apperantly there was a 1.8 magnitude earthquake that caused it. 

You are Luckyfil, literally! :) 

cheers scratchie!!! 

16 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

That is newsworthy!!!

I friend just forwarded me a story on the Swellnet website including some pics, which is making me feel a bit weird, reckon I'd have been a grease spot on the shore if I'd been a bit slower - see link below

http://www.swellnet.com/news/swellnet-dispatch/2017/08/12/north-avalon-rockfall-triggers-local-earthquake