A few reds

JonD

Ok must admit I wasn't going to post as I feel a little bit behind on posting reports ( trying to get my photos off my daughter's computer is the problem!!!).

Once again got off to my usual early morning start of around 10am hitting the water ( simply to dam cold before that!!). Headed north of Narooma about 18km and stopped in around 60m of water over a few fish showing on the sounder. With virtually no wind or current we were able to drop soft plastics on very small jig heads and just be able to tell when we hit bottom. 

My daughter nailed a nice red on her first drop soon followed by a few more fish over a couple more drifts before going quiet. We found two to three drifts on each patch would produce fish before they kept shutting down, plenty of fun was had on the light gear but we did manage to lose a couple of very good fish due to the line braking around the hook ( not the knot ). We don't normally use fluro as I believe it to be very overrated, I've since found a few new knots that may help with using such light fluro so hopefully stay connected with some of those bigger fish next time.

With the masses of small bait fish around the temptation to chase the striped tuna on light gear soon took over. Whether it was chassing fish, hooking them or just trying to land them in the net the kids had a ball. Striped tuna on 2-3kg outfits is hard to beat.

On the run home we came accross a huge bait school a few hundred metres long, this had just about everything trying to have a feed on it. Humpbacks were so into the feeding one skimmed the side of our boat, there were also brydes whales, dolphins and penguins all in on the action.

Apart from that it was another boring day!!! :D

IMG_0740.JPG

IMG_0742.JPG

IMG_0744.JPG

IMG_0747.JPG

IMG_0748.JPG

IMG_0750.JPG

The whales and dolphins were taken by my daughter with a canon 7d and a 100-400 lens. My younger daughter missed out on coming along over the weekend so is bunking off school tomorrow in the hope of getting some whale photos.

Guest Guest123456789

grest report thanks for sharing. Is that tuna a stripey? That's a horse. Looks like about a 1/2oz jighead? That is light for 60 metres.

1 hour ago, flatheadluke said:

grest report thanks for sharing. Is that tuna a stripey? That's a horse. Looks like about a 1/2oz jighead? That is light for 60 metres.

We've caught many stripey's over the years but some of these that around at the moment are huge, that one was actually hooked on a trevala 20-40lb rod with a 5000 Stradic fk and still took 20 mins to land. It looks like there could be bigger tuna, maybe small bluefin in the 40kg size feeding on these bait balls but untill we hook one can't be sure. I was certain I saw the fickles of yellowfin on one of the feeding frenzy's, we caught yellowfin in 5m of water a few years back down here ( 30-45kg size).

As some are aware we also spend much time in the water and have never seen so much bait, its thick just about everywhere inshore.

7 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

10:00 start! I've got to try that! I'm always trying to get on the waster by first light. I've got tomorrow off but nothing's ready. Will see what I can get sorted on the morning and then maybe head out. ?

I do think we have to work harder going late but it's far more relaxed than rushing round before dark. Luckily down here you can always find parking at anytime time you head out.

Another good thing about going later is that most boats have given up on the snapper and moved to chassing flathead, meaning less people pinch my spots.!!! Most of the areas I get snapper are very small patches of rough ground from a car body size to patches about 20m long, these tend to be hard for charters to fish and tricky for many small boats to pinpoint their drifts with the time it takes to get such light plastics down into the zone. 

My Lowrance has point 1 connected which gives and electronic compas reading, this is the greatest tool for catching fish as even if the boat slowly turns in the wind we can still see exactly which side and how far from the boat very small structures are. It also makes moving back up on the structure extremely easy as we don't have to head off to get the gps to realise what our heading is (this updates 10 times per second).