Flathead and Reds off Sydney

saltrix

With an excellent weather forecast for a change my son and I left Tunks about daybreak to try for a few flathead off Dee Why.

We were suprised to find the ramp fairly busy for a weekday but there was still plenty of parking.

The forecast was accurate although a confused swell made thing a bit rocky.

friday-morning.jpg

The current was from the north and  fairly strong and the drifts were pretty quick but the fish were iting reasonably well, although the small spikeys were a nuisanc. Most of the fish were caught on pilchards, or small pieces of mullet. Some of the flathead were a good size but the reds were only a couple of cm over legal. we kept a couple of spikeys that were a reasonable size, and added 5 marbled and 7 bluespot flathead before quitting about 11am as the northerly wind picked up. It was a nice way to spend my 80th birthday.

fish-friday.jpg

Happy birthday.

I use the fillets from the spikeys as bait, a good tough bait that will last a bit of mauling from the flatties before needing to replace it with another fillet (or a half fillet from the bigger ones)

Yes , spikeys are good bait, I used some today and caught a couple of fish on them but the mullet pieces seemed very good today and the reds seemed to like them but most of them were undersized.  The pilchards don't last long when the spikeys are around.