Sans Souci Park

notoriousTASH

Hey guys, first fishing report here. Forgive me for lack of information, I'm only very new to fishing (started about a month ago) but thought I'd give you the best info I can about a successful day out today at Sans Souci Park.

We were fishing off the wharf closest to Captain Cook bridge. Really enjoyable place to fish, particularly if you're new like myself. Water was perfect, not choppy at all. No snags (praise the Lord!) either.

We got there not too long before low tide. Threw the line in with just a simple set up of swivel + heavier sinker (not sure the size) + hook, using a small prawn as bait. 3 minutes later I land a nice 26cm bream. After throwing the line in again, a further 3 minutes pass, another bream! The bites were constant until about an hour after low tide then it quietened down. 

Then about an hour before high tide, bites starter becoming more and more frequent. My partner ended up landing a 36cm trav, she was using swivel + heavier sinker + two hooks and pilchard as bait. She also hooked a tailor but dropped it back in the water. 

I thought I'd try a similar set up to hers and once I the the line in, landed a tailor myself. 

Toward the end of our day, I hooked something bloody massive, my rod bent over like crazy and put up a massive fight. Unfortunately I lost it without so much as a glimpse but what I can tell you is that it took both my hooks and the whole pilchard. I think I'll be wondering what that fish was for the rest of my days. 

Couple of people next to us almost got an enormous blue swimmer crab that latched on to the bait on their line but sadly it jumped off when it realised what was going on. 

All in all a great day was had by all on the wharf and I would highly recommend the spot to you guys to check out, particularly newbies. This is by far the easiest spot I've fished since starting out. Plenty of action today. Hope this helps anyone out there and that the information I gave is in line with what's expected!

Happy fishing ?

FB_IMG_1507030583341.jpg

FB_IMG_1507030620832.jpg

6 hours ago, Hooked-Up said:

Cool, good fun days fishing is hard to beat.

ahhhh the one that got away lol, welcome to the game lol.

salmon, kingfish or ray is my guess.

maybe next time, yes therel be a next time lol.

enjoy!

I feel like it was more likely to be a fish rather than a ray, not that I know what rays feel like when hooked... It was swimming around very quick in a sort of back and forth movement from memory. I was in quite a bit of shock TBH as that was definitely the biggest thing I've hooked. Does that sound like what a ray would do? As I said I have no idea!

Just wish I knew what it bloody was!!! Didn't even catch a glimpse!

Could be a big flatty. I've gotten some really big ones near there before. 

If it was a ray itll just run for a very long time. Sometimes to the point that when you look at your spools and say "please snap... NOW!".

Thanks all for the compliments. Thought I'd follow up on this post. We went out there again today, not nearly as much action as yesterday. Was windier and cloudier than yesterday so I guess they're the most likely causes. In saying this, the Mrs managed to pull in a really nice 46cm flattie. On top of that, the people next to us found this guy hanging out on their line and nabbed him. 20cm across the shell :)

IMAG0741.jpg

IMAG0742.jpg

Hey Tash, good job, i noticed your using a wire trace line.

might pay you to get rid of that and use some fluorocarbon or even monofilament leader for your estuary fishing.

bait flows around much more naturally plus its harder to see on a mono/flouro line (Obviously not as strong as wire) but Should get you some more action, gotta get them to eat before you can catch them hehe.

not sure what rod, reel and line your using but 6-8lb braid as mainline with 10lb fluoro leader should be fine. If your reel drag is set nicely (not too tight) you should be fine 99 percent of the time.

Lee.