What would you do

GoingFishing

Gday All

Looking for some advice, have purchased a boat new from QLD because Sydney dealers think they can charge 9k more for the exact same product.

warranty is nation wide for both boat and motor and my local dealer can (has no choice but to) deal with any warranty related issues.

I live in NSW and wondering if i should invest the time/money to go receipt the boat in person as opposed to having it trucked here.

being the pessimist i am always worried something wont be working or forgotten behind

any thoughts?

9 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Drive up, get it, then stop at my house on the way back and I'll test drive it for you! ?

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks fellas for the advice

Jeff i would love to stop at port on the way back and head out for some reds..... but its a 13 hr drive !!!! 

5 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Thanks fellas for the advice

Jeff i would love to stop at port on the way back and head out for some reds..... but its a 13 hr drive !!!! 

And only a 8hr session! So you still have 3hrs left in a day! Haha :) 

I had the same issue a couple of years ago when I bought a boat in Queensland; boat transport or drive. I ended up driving to Hervey Bay to pick it up. I saved a couple of grand, had a very nice drive and got to make sure the boat was right when I picked it up.

I had the same situation a year ago with my new boat. I purchased my boat from a place in SE Qld, Dealers in Sydney wanted  $5000 more. I had even flown up for the day to go to the Brisbane boat show to see the boat model as there where none around here.

When it came time to collect I decided to drive up and get it and I'm glad I did. The boat had a big mark on the  side that needed to be buffed out and the trailer was poorly set up. I had these things fixed before I took the boat.

For the process of getting the boat home. I had a RMS temporary rego for the trailer, which was easy to organise, had insurance Ifor the boat and had a second driver who was experienced at towing come with me(thanks Dad). I live in sutherland,  work in the city, dad brought my car picked me up after work and we drove to south west rocks, free accommodation. Stopped for the night, started early next morning drove up collected the boat, fixed the hassle and drove home arrived in Sydney at 11pm. A big day driving but having an experienced second driver meant you could actually relax and rest when not your turn behind the wheel. 

One year on now and am very happy with the boat and the money saved.

Guest Guest123456789

I’d get quotes for just the boat and trailer unregistered and no non factory options. Someone within a 3 hour drive should be able to get within $1000 of what you’ve been quoted in QLD. The cost of fuel plus your time is worth $1000.

Then I’d get quotes to supply and fit the outboard from local guys.

I picked my boat up form Gold Coast. To up the a stakes i actually picked up the new tow vehicle the night before I drove up there!!

i left on a Tuesday morning, got to dealer. Checked out boat paper work etc and made purchase. Drove to get temp rego. Wife did insurance. Then drove back to Ballina that afternoon. Stayed the night and drove back to Sydney next day.

neghbours did not know what was going on and took some convincing that I had bought the car and boat...

good luck. I would drive up, do an on water test etc 

Edited by rippinlips

Agree 100% go up and collect from up there, take a weeks holiday and run the motor in on Moreton Bay (some good fishing up there too) and book it in for the 10 hr lookover with the dealer on the last day of your holiday , any issues can be sorted then and there- good luck with the new boat

I would definitely go up there for the handover to inspect the boat before paying for it and get a crash course in it from the dealer and meet everyone so you know who you are dealing with should there be any warranty issues down the track.

Whether you drive up and tow it back or fly up, shake hands with the salesman to put a face to the name, inspect the boat, pay, fly home and ship it back on a flat bed i think is a separate decision. Keeping in mind if you tow it you will be putting 1000km on your brand new trailer and also without knowing how the balance sits with your tow vehicle.

100% go up. There are soo many issues you can have taking delivery of a sight unseen boat. As far as warranty your local dealer is going to be hard work if they remember you. 9 K is a big difference especially with freight thrown in. I worked with & sold boats for a dealership in my last job. PM me if you want more info. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all who offered advice ! 

10 hours ago, Scratchie said:

What did you decide to do Sam? 

My original plan was to fly up, do a water test and then hire a dual cab ute and drive back down one way, but none of the hire car operators would let me take the utility vehicles 1000km one way ! 

So, drove up Sunday, did a 6am handover on Monday which the dealer was happy to oblige and then drove back down :)

Shes parked safely in my driveway now until i can get the boat and trailer registration sorted! 

Dealer placed his stickers on her which i wasnt expecting but dont wana damage the paint trying to getting the stickers off,

is there any way to get them off without scarring the paint/hull. 

1 hour ago, Hateanchors said:

Heat the stickers up with a hair drier or heat gun and then peel them off. They should come off easy as they have not been on there for very long. 

Get them off as quick as you can....what boat did you get?? Great to hear it went well....