Port Hacking

Yowie

Fished near the mouth of Yowie Bay early this morning. Only 2 decent bites, but managed to land both of them.

This jewie took a squid strip from the bottom, just a slow run until I grabbed the line and set the hook. Then it was off like a rocket, easily 100 metres in a dead straight run. 15 pound handline and my fingers were burning from the speed of the fish. Had to dunk both hands in the water to cool them off. From the speed of the run, thought it was a ray at first, but after the initial run, the jew was a bit quiet and swam back to the boat without too much resistance.

The second jew took a pillie on a rod and set the reel screaming, but not such a long run. Was released, as was a little jew not much over 30cm.

Had out a live yakka, no hits though. A few rat kingies swimming about, followed up the hooked reddies (none near legal size) and the occasional splashing from the kingies but not interested in any bait with a hook in it.

As I was heading home in Gunnamatta Bay, I saw a couple of gulls flying about and a few bait fish jumping amongst the moored boats, so I threw out a metal lure and pulled out the 2 bonnies. Also dropped 2 others that did not stay hooked for very long, then they were gone. Nice white meat in the bonnies, but they will be salted for bait.

fish.jpeg.123.png

Edited by Yowie

1 hour ago, big Neil said:

Do you often fish with a handline Yowie? Certainly would increase the degree of difficulty with a decent fish. bn

Always fish with handlines in the deeper waters of the Hacking. Have done so since I was a kid (now a big kid :D)

It does make for interesting fishing with a decent fish on, especially if I hook a large eagle ray. Some fish have been unstoppable.

2 hours ago, hookerbruce said:

Nice Jew from the hackjng I'm yet to get a legal one in the port.

bruce

There are a few about, just have to be in the right spot at the right time. The jewies cruise about along the drop offs, so are on the move most of the time. Fished the same spot 2 weeks ago for nothing but pickers.

They might be in Gymea Bay today, Lilli Pilli tomorrow.

Dave.

3 hours ago, Yowie said:

There are a few about, just have to be in the right spot at the right time. The jewies cruise about along the drop offs, so are on the move most of the time. Fished the same spot 2 weeks ago for nothing but pickers.

They might be in Gymea Bay today, Lilli Pilli tomorrow.

Dave.

Or in your boat the following day.Top stuff as usual mate.

8 hours ago, Yowie said:

Fished near the mouth of Yowie Bay early this morning. Only 2 decent bites, but managed to land both of them.

This jewie took a squid strip from the bottom, just a slow run until I grabbed the line and set the hook. Then it was off like a rocket, easily 100 metres in a dead straight run. 15 pound handline and my fingers were burning from the speed of the fish. Had to dunk both hands in the water to cool them off. From the speed of the run, thought it was a ray at first, but after the initial run, the jew was a bit quiet and swam back to the boat without too much resistance.

The second jew took a pillie on a rod and set the reel screaming, but not such a long run. Was released, as was a little jew not much over 30cm.

Had out a live yakka, no hits though. A few rat kingies swimming about, followed up the hooked reddies (none near legal size) and the occasional splashing from the kingies but not interested in any bait with a hook in it.

As I was heading home in Gunnamatta Bay, I saw a couple of gulls flying about and a few bait fish jumping amongst the moored boats, so I threw out a metal lure and pulled out the 2 bonnies. Also dropped 2 others that did not stay hooked for very long, then they were gone. Nice white meat in the bonnies, but they will be salted for bait.

fish.jpeg.123.png

Killing it as usual mate , good Jew there on the palm burner!