albright knot questions

macbook

hi all 

went out fishing yesterday and my Albright broke at the knot 2 twice on two different rods while I was casting. I normally tie a double uni to join leader to mainline but I didn't like how bulky it was and the Albright is a lot slimmer. I have been using the Albright knot for the past 2 months and this has never happened before. I normally do 6-8 wraps up and down, is this a good amount? 

Anyone know why it would be slipping/braking or any good slim leader knot for casting beside the FG as its a bit tricky to tie in a kayak.

cheers mac

Normal Albright knots get weak and break after a good casting session from my experience. 

Because I like the knot, I have persisted with it and I have thought up of my own variation to make it last. The only thing is its too hard to explain in words lol. I have to show you.

You will get plenty of other suggestions here. 

3 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

in lighter braids I do 10/12 twists up  4 back down and always make sure the tag end leaves the knot the same way it enters the loop..rick

My (normal) Albright knots get weak and snap where the mono leader enters the knot. Opposite to the braid tag end. The mono breaks.

Its cause is the mono constantly  ‘wriggling’ back and forth in the exact same position during casting. Kind of like when you get a piece of wire and bend it back and forth on the same spot until It eventually breaks. 

The Albright does not spread out this back and forth movement. It’s concentrated in one spot. 

3 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

in lighter braids I do 10/12 twists up  4 back down and always make sure the tag end leaves the knot the same way it enters the loop..rick

what he said and pay attention to the last part. they dont fail if tied correctly.

To add to that lube it up and pull it TIGHT almost breaking point, then trim tag short.

5 hours ago, Koalaboi said:

I've had the knot break when casting and my solution was to get new braid. 

It worked. Not sure what others think, but I have found that braid deteriorates and needs to be replaced every 12 months.

KB

It should last longer than that. What braid are you using? The last few ‘working’ meters need to be trimmed every now and then, but the rest should last for years. I have 5 year old Fireline still on reels. 

What lb braid and leader were you using?

I find double Uni is fine up until 20lb leader. (You need to make sure you trim the tags really close on the fluoro).
I run it through the guides and don't have any issues, unless the rod has micro guides or am using 20lb> leader.

For anything over 20lb FG is the go!

If you want some casting strength out of the knot you can do a tight half hitch with the leader before you cut it so the knot bashes the guides as you cast. This will give it the same durability as the uni with only slightly more bulk. You will need to sinch everything right down hard before you cut it & as scratchie said the 3 loops with the braid to lock the knot makes all the difference. 

The Yucatan knot is super strong but is still bulky & hard to tie with heavy stiff  leader  as it has to grip doubled braid to start twisting. Pus if you don't tie a Bimini for the Double its not as strong especially if using 4X braid as the surgeons loop just cuts through itself. 

I stuffed around for ages with knots trying to find the silver bullet for a strong low profile casting knot but there are only 2 choices. PR or FG. If you do your FG at home before you hit the water it should last for ages & if you get snagged the leader knot normally gives anyway. Most trips I will get busted off or snagged but still have the same shorter leader at the end of the day. If you practice you can smash out an FG in a couple of minutes on land. 

for some reason whenever I try a knot weather its a sliding knot or the Albright knot for some reason my braid always snaps when I am finishing off the knot it snaps about 2 inches above the knot I have tried different methods as in pulling tight quickly, slowly, a lot of lubricate, not as much. so who knows lol I am using Cast Away Braid and Super PE

Bizarre, how old is the braid? Might need to remove a lot more bud, depending on how much line you get out on casting.

id be trying that and if it's still breaking well away (2 inches) from the knot I'd definitely take it back.

shouldnt be able to snap 12lb braid by hand and definitely not 25lb.

strange mate.

3 hours ago, marks1984 said:

mate I have taken rod length off

cast away 12lbs

super pe 25lbs

love the line tho

Wind a length of line between your hands and try snapping it. If it breaks just the same then the line is worn.

If you can’t break it, then it’s your knot tying that is damaging the line. 

1 hour ago, Hateanchors said:

Wind a length of line between your hands and try snapping it. If it breaks just the same then the line is worn.

If you can’t break it, then it’s your knot tying that is damaging the line. 

I did think of that tell u the truth