Keeper net

JewCraze

Hi All,

I searched the forum to see this topic has been discussed but found none so I thought I'd ask. I've been trying to catch a big fish like a Jewie or Kingie, without any success yet. I'm still reading, learning and tweaking my approach and hope to succeed at some point. I'd like to ask if anyone has used keeper net to keep their Jewie or Kingie live in the water after landing the fish? Normally when we go fishing the bucket is usually small. So what do you do, if you're land-based, when you catch a Jewie that is bigger than your bucket? I know I'm over optimistic here :-) (or maybe I'm a wild dreamer) but seriously I'm think of getting a keeper net with the intention of keeping the catch alive in a keeper net thrown back into the water. Does this sound like a good idea or bad idea?

Related to my attempt to catch a Jewfish I'm planning, for my next fishing trip, to sink soft plastic lures (or live baits, if I could catch one) in a rig where the sinker is at the end (bottom) and the bait or lure about 1 to 2 m above the sinker, with glow sticks attached along that 1 - 2 m line at the bottom. Anyone has any thought / comment to share with me regarding this plan? The idea behind this approach is that I don't have to worry about figuring out how deep the water is. If the line is tight, the sinker is at the bottom, and the bait (or lure) is 1 - 2 m above the sinker then in theory the bait / lure would be about 1 - 2 m above the bottom.

JC

2 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

jews or kings wont stay alive long in a keeper..if you are going to target them seriously get serious and take a good size esky with ice in it...even smaller fish for eating should be kept on ice..gives you better quality fish to eat...rick

Thank you rick! 

2 hours ago, rippinlips said:

Hi,

i have the max and micro chiller bags.. Just keep 2 litre bottles frozen for them. Highly recommend this brand. Yes they are expensive but stay super cold and easy to clean...

Thank you!

That bag looks pretty good! I already have a large esky but was thinking it's clumsy to lug the esky around so the idea of a chiller bag sounds really good, and having looked at it, it looks good! But my next challenge is to convince my missus to let me spend that money. Looks like I might have to get a foldable trolley from bunnings to go with the esky instead :-)