Port Hacking

Yowie

The wind was forecast to drop off a bit from yesterday's gale, and it did, so I headed to the deep up from Lilli Pilli. Used pillies for 1 tailor, then they disappeared for a while until just before sunrise. At that time they were taking fish strips off the bottom, as did the crab. A salmon also grabbed a fish strip, but spat the hook next to the boat. Looked like it was near the 60cm mark, a fat bugger that had trouble jumping out of the water, it did not jump too high at all.

Headed to Maianbar flats, pumped some nippers and waded about for 2 whiting, but the tide became too high, and then the wind picked up again so drifting was out of the question. Anchored a bit further away and pulled out the other whiting and the bream. Headed for home, and the wind was really puffing away heading back up Gunnamatta Bay.

fish.jpeg.130.png

• Like 1

Hi Dave

Nice to see someone braved the elements and got a good catch for their effort. Years ago I used to cold smoke the tailor and they came up very nice. Tempted to try it again but I would have to catch the tailor first.

I thought the southerly would have died down by today and had planned a offshore trip but pulled the pin and worked on the rebuilding the back patio. Plan is now to head offshore Friday. (or if grandkids get in the way go very early sat).

Bruce

11 hours ago, hookerbruce said:

Hi Dave

Nice to see someone braved the elements and got a good catch for their effort. Years ago I used to cold smoke the tailor and they came up very nice. Tempted to try it again but I would have to catch the tailor first.

I thought the southerly would have died down by today and had planned a offshore trip but pulled the pin and worked on the rebuilding the back patio. Plan is now to head offshore Friday. (or if grandkids get in the way go very early sat).

Bruce

Bruce,

I have had tailor hot smoked, which meant they were eaten straight away, rather than cold smoked which can be eaten much later.

One of those mongrel east coast lows has punched up the swell, hopefully it dies down enough for you to get out amongst the fish.
Scratchie and others will be gearing up ready to pull a few reddies after the swell dies a bit.

Great report as usual Dave, in those conditions u have done well.

wind and work has not allowed me anytime this week for a flick and the little fella resumes his little atheletics on sat so no fishing for me for a while, so always happy to read your reports mate, keep em coming. 

4 hours ago, Ribs said:

Great report as usual Dave, in those conditions u have done well.

wind and work has not allowed me anytime this week for a flick and the little fella resumes his little atheletics on sat so no fishing for me for a while, so always happy to read your reports mate, keep em coming. 

Little athletics - happy to be past those times with my (now big) kids.

Have not had a southerly that strong for a while, just a bit too bouncy to be out in a boat.