Any Ideas on this Reef critter? (Scedophilus)

CJay

Question

23 answers to this question

4 hours ago, CJay said:

Scratchie or Rickmarlin any ideas? I cant ID this fella for the life of me, even my dive buddy had no idea :huh:

I’m no ID expert. That’s blackfish and/or rick! Pretty little thing though! All I know is the fillets off that wouldn’t feed anyone! :P

• Like 1

Hey
It looks to me like a species of Centrolophidae but if you don't mind I'll past the picture on to people from the Australian museum with any info you have of its findings/where about/size/etc

They're generally a pelagic species that hang around floating debris/sharks.
I've seen members of the family on sunfish before at the shelf & on oceanic jellyfish species that have been washed into the river - which would explain why you probably have seen them before.

Georgia 

Edited by JonD

I cant really find much to Id it on at all hey the guys from the Deep Sea fishing club here have no idea either , alot of juvy reef fish look hell different once they mature its just a shame this fella didnt make it , cant really tell you much Jon apart from it was about 20cm and washed up after the big NE swell , location Belongil Beach just up from Byron Bay at the Wreck :)

11 hours ago, JonD said:

Hey
It looks to me like a species of Centrolophidae but if you don't mind I'll past the picture on to people from the Australian museum with any info you have of its findings/where about/size/etc

They're generally a pelagic species that hang around floating debris/sharks.
I've seen members of the family on sunfish before at the shelf & on oceanic jellyfish species that have been washed into the river - which would explain why you probably have seen them before.

Georgia 

I think it probably got washed up from Julian Rocks would be my best bet :)

On 08/02/2018 at 11:16 AM, Blackfish said:

Oops, sorry Georgia.

What Georgia suggested she would do 

Sorry she hasn't gotten back, she's been flat out and currently away for a few days catching fish for Merimbula aquarium.

• Like 1

On 10/02/2018 at 9:15 AM, CJay said:

She catches fish for an aquarium as a job? Where do i sign up haha 

Just helping a mate out who left the pump turned off in the biggest tank. Killed kings, sharks, snapper etc (all the big stuff) . To be honest I stayed back and let them have a crack at it themselves to see how they would go, looks like I will need to head down with the rib to try for some of the bigger fish.

• Like 1