help with estuary fishing

jmadden

I fish a lot ive grown up doing it but I always struggle to catch fish. I live in middle harbour so i do a lot of land-based fishing there are a lot of sand flats and drop-offs I'm hoping to catch more fish with some tips on anything to do with land-based fishing on sandbanks, drop-offs and rock walls.  cheers.

On 13/02/2018 at 2:57 AM, mii11x said:

What line size have you been using? What have you been trying to target? What is the size of your terminal tackle?

On 12/02/2018 at 9:00 PM, nutsaboutfishing said:

are you using bait or lures

I use bait such as prawn and pilchards for bream and whiting and even flathead but I only ever get small bream. I use soft plastics for flathead and whiting but never for bream, I use banana prawn 3 inches with 1/10 to 1/8 jig heads. I use an estuary rod and have a small 5-pound line with a 13 or 15-pound leader. to be honest, i haven't been out for a while as I've been disheartened from days of 4-5 hours plus of fishing and catching only small bream or occasional whiting. 

As they say Rome wasnt built in a day. Dont be disheartened! Remember even pros have dud days.  Even television programmes film for 10 hours to make a half hour fishing programme.

When you say estuary rod, what is the rating?  Have you tried using lighter leader?

Remember you are still catching fish. I can't begin to tell you how many all nighters I've done targeting mulloway to come home with doughnuts.  Yes its frustrating, but im fishing still.  Your time will come mate when all the stars and moons will align and youll achieve desired results

• Like 2

fish as light as you can get away with for the location current etc, and keep terminal tackle simple with the lightest leaders for spooky fish :) if you start getting busted then just up the leader strength!

Tight Lines!

• Like 1

On 16/02/2018 at 9:22 AM, CJay said:

fish as light as you can get away with for the location current etc, and keep terminal tackle simple with the lightest leaders for spooky fish :) if you start getting busted then just up the leader strength!

Tight Lines!

On 16/02/2018 at 6:04 AM, mii11x said:

As they say Rome wasnt built in a day. Dont be disheartened! Remember even pros have dud days.  Even television programmes film for 10 hours to make a half hour fishing programme.

When you say estuary rod, what is the rating?  Have you tried using lighter leader?

Remember you are still catching fish. I can't begin to tell you how many all nighters I've done targeting mulloway to come home with doughnuts.  Yes its frustrating, but im fishing still.  Your time will come mate when all the stars and moons will align and youll achieve desired results

mate, I used some lighter tackle and went through six sp and caught four breams and two whiting all undersize but close. good to finally get some fish.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pafisho08 said:

This time of the yr is worth a go with some top water lures over sand flats .5 mtr to 1mtr deep. Lures of 50mm to 70 mm in clear colours

poppers or walkers.

Bob

is that for like whiting etc. any actual lures you recommend from experience so I can go to tackle world and get some.

cheers mate

Edited by jmadden

HI Jmadden 

As for the lures for whiting the Atomic pop 50 mm clr Ghost Tiger or the Halco Roosta pop 60 mm clr Poddy or Purple Haze would

be a start .There are many lures which are good for topwater fishing for Whiting - Bream & even Flathead try a You Tube search .

Bob

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, CJay said:

try the sugapen  poppers if you can find them dynamite little surface lure B)

8 hours ago, Pafisho08 said:

HI Jmadden 

As for the lures for whiting the Atomic pop 50 mm clr Ghost Tiger or the Halco Roosta pop 60 mm clr Poddy or Purple Haze would

be a start .There are many lures which are good for topwater fishing for Whiting - Bream & even Flathead try a You Tube search .

Bob

thanks a lot guys

On 19/02/2018 at 8:41 PM, jmadden said:

is that for like whiting etc. any actual lures you recommend from experience so I can go to tackle world and get some.

cheers mate

Bassday Sugapen

Daiwa Double Clutch

Berkeley Prawn Dog

Good for Flathead, Whiting, Bream, can pick up other predators such as Trevally. 

On YouTube, Sand Flat Fishing has heaps of videos on the exact type of fishing you're describing. 

Edited by MainframeJames
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MainframeJames said:

Bassday Sugapen

Daiwa Double Clutch

Berkeley Prawn Dog

Good for Flathead, Whiting, Bream, can pick up other predators such as Trevally. 

On YouTube, Sand Flat Fishing has heaps of videos on the exact type of fishing you're describing. 

mate with the surface lures for bream especially should I target weed beds and structure and the with flathead target sand flats and drop-offs.

On 22/02/2018 at 12:48 PM, jmadden said:

mate with the surface lures for bream especially should I target weed beds and structure and the with flathead target sand flats and drop-offs.

Yes on both counts. The flatties especially like the border of weed and sand, and they'll hit the surface lures too. Anything more than ankle deep should be fair game. 

• Like 1

On 23/02/2018 at 6:32 PM, MainframeJames said:

Yes on both counts. The flatties especially like the border of weed and sand, and they'll hit the surface lures too. Anything more than ankle deep should be fair game. 

thanks mate