SouthWest Rocks / Hat Head?

CJay

Gday Raiders!

Fortunately i managed to score the week off work for my birthday :lol: so i packed the rods and im headed down the coast tonight towards Southwest Rocks/Hat Head ,

im keen to get stuck into some spanish/kings off the rocks so any advice on location / lures  would be highly appreciated!

Would Southwest or Hat Head hold blue groper and possibly cobia? I know its closer to the shelf but how deep are we talking? The deepest drop offs under the rocks around these parts is maybe a few meters if your lucky!

Cheers Guys Tight Lines!

hat head is the best ledge for spinning..hard to get livies and the current runs hard round the point..live baiting is best done off s/east pt of hungry head just south of town..take garbage tip rd.look on google  southern rd  to the gap turn right....swr is a better prospect for groper  walk eastward from jail area..hard to spin there  better from boat...rick

cheers rick! What lures would work best down there sps or metals?

Was thinking just grab a couple big Tailor and smack them under a  balloon or freeline em off the point for a hungry Mack ;)

The boat is up north with my buddy so im landlocked for the moment :/ Whats the gaff situation like off the points there i hve a small gaff but might need an upgrade :fisher:

4 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

hat head is the best ledge for spinning..hard to get livies and the current runs hard round the point..live baiting is best done off s/east pt of hungry head just south of town..take garbage tip rd.look on google  southern rd  to the gap turn right.

Hungry head is just south of Urunga. You havnt got them mixed up?

Hungry head is the next headland up from crescent 1km south of the gap at hat   between the point and beach is known as the jew bite  its also known as kemps corner  ive probably only fished it 150 times in the last 40yrs so i know the place well...metals are best  85grm or bigger or livies under torpedo cork  yakkas an slimys in front of south east point  longer gaff is better but you can work fish south round point into little bay and wash em up enough for shorter gaff   suss out google  last point lookin down beach to crescent...rick

• Like 2

Turned up the heat this morning with a 3kg Rat and a few Tailor off Yamba breakwall on the 6' pearl swimmers, nailed literally as soon as it hit the surface and I saw a good size Longtail smashing up the wall on first light , exciting stuff but no takers..

Looks like the new reel was delivered yesterday (just my luck ive been waiting just over a week before my time off) so might jet back up to pick up the Slammer 3 and find a new blank! :D

Looking at the Shimano Aerowave 13ft Graphite but still not too sure , just want something that can cast bigger lures and snapper rigs out to the bombies and reefs , any suggestions rick?

yeah those ledges have a reputation and i dont have a gaff buddy either.... only managed the flying gaff solo a handful of times . Ive got ropes and harness but hard to find friends that are up for the mission :/ hows the water looking out your way Dave? 

Are any of you guys close to Smoky Cape? Its hard fishing when your solo theres many spots i cant safely access alone, ive been looking at the  Matterhorn under the lighthouse there for about two years now but theres no way i can do it alone ,as id need to climb down to set lines then use pulleys to drop the gear down, since the goats at the lighthouse have gone its near impossible to see the tracks that used to run down there and its pretty sketchy as it is. Ive heard you can get around to Groper rocks from Tallows beach but cant find any info on those spots anywhere but i can see them on google earth...

20 hours ago, dirvin21 said:

you can also try grassy head the macs often come in close......... kingy's are usually more smoky cape area..... be cautious these platforms can be treacherous.... I know of quite a few deaths over the years

Dave

On 15/02/2018 at 9:15 PM, CJay said:

yeah those ledges have a reputation and i dont have a gaff buddy either.... only managed the flying gaff solo a handful of times . Ive got ropes and harness but hard to find friends that are up for the mission :/ hows the water looking out your way Dave? 

Been a bit rough but hopefully it'll settle down before long..... I'm go and fish grassy with you anytime conditions permitting