Flathead, Mullet and Kama

antonywardle

Went outside on Saturday to drift for Flathead. Bumped in to a bloke from the fishing club so he followed me out and got on to a few flathead. I thought it was a bit messy out there but I'd taken my pills and wasn't too bad. I took some bananas to see if there was any truth to how unlucky they were. I took a bite and about three seconds later I burleyed. Even worse, out came the ginger beer I'd been drinking and man it stung! It was as bad as was when I've had mustard attack my nose. No more bananas for me! Anyway, Got my bag and headed back in with my shadow, and while I was trawling for a bonnie, he got flagged down by a 6m FG boat that had broken down. He came and got me as he didn't think that his 40 HP would be able to pull it. We hooked up and towed the boat back inside Boxhead where they decided to anchor and wait for a mate to come and get them. So I'm up on the Kama.

Sunday I took the young lad to the Entrance, put the boat in, then noticed that the boat that was already on the wharf put their trailer in to retrieve. I apologized for jumping in where they told me that they had not had a good day. They'd launched and then as they headed out they noticed that their bungs weren't in, so they quickly got out, emptied, and then put the boat back in. THis time the engine wouldn't start and the battery went flat. I'd been a bit slack with my anchor light, in that I'd not hooked it up to my other lights circuit, so I happened to have  small battery spare. I offered it too them, and they were able to get their boat started. They were abut to swap to their other battery when the engine was running and I suggested that they not do that, the way their luck was going that day, something might have blown up. I pointed where I would be and said that I'd only be out for a couple of hours and they were welcome to hold on to my battery. They went out for a drive around the lake, charged up mine, swapped to theirs and then got that charged too.

They ended up having a bit of a fish and called in to see me just as the storm was hitting, so we decided to head back in. I was by myself and sometimes it can be a little tough getting back. As it turned out, It was ok, and when they had finished, I was all good too.I suggested that they start the boat the day before and also put the battery on a charger, and not to put the trailer so far into the water when retrieving. On the fish front, they ended up with a small bream, while I was targeting mullet with my 6 y/o and we ended up with 20. He wound most of them in with the largest going 42 cm. Sorry  @MainframeJames you missed a good time. I think I'm up on kama now too. I'd replaced my bung and used some sikaflex and no water came out when I'd opened it so that was a win for me.

Sorry, no photos this time, but my boy, who'd been a bit  patience wearing on the boat said,, "Dad, this is the best day of my life", and that made it all worthwhile.He won the juniors section at the weigh in and that big mullet might be a board fish come the end of the season. 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, antonywardle said:
Went outside on Saturday to drift for Flathead. Bumped in to a bloke from the fishing club so he followed me out and got on to a few flathead. I thought it was a bit messy out there but I'd taken my pills and wasn't too bad. I took some bananas to see if there was any truth to how unlucky they were. I took a bite and about three seconds later I burleyed. Even worse, out came the ginger beer I'd been drinking and man it stung! It was as bad as was when I've had mustard attack my nose. No more bananas for me! Anyway, Got my bag and headed back in with my shadow, and while I was trawling for a bonnie, he got flagged down by a 6m FG boat that had broken down. He came and got me as he didn't think that his 40 HP would be able to pull it. We hooked up and towed the boat back inside Boxhead where they decided to anchor and wait for a mate to come and get them. So I'm up on the Kama.

Sunday I took the young lad to the Entrance, put the boat in, then noticed that the boat that was already on the wharf put their trailer in to retrieve. I apologized for jumping in where they told me that they had not had a good day. They'd launched and then as they headed out they noticed that their bungs weren't in, so they quickly got out, emptied, and then put the boat back in. THis time the engine wouldn't start and the battery went flat. I'd been a bit slack with my anchor light, in that I'd not hooked it up to my other lights circuit, so I happened to have  small battery spare. I offered it too them, and they were able to get their boat started. They were abut to swap to their other battery when the engine was running and I suggested that they not do that, the way their luck was going that day, something might have blown up. I pointed where I would be and said that I'd only be out for a couple of hours and they were welcome to hold on to my battery. They went out for a drive around the lake, charged up mine, swapped to theirs and then got that charged too.

They ended up having a bit of a fish and called in to see me just as the storm was hitting, so we decided to head back in. I was by myself and sometimes it can be a little tough getting back. As it turned out, It was ok, and when they had finished, I was all good too.I suggested that they start the boat the day before and also put the battery on a charger, and not to put the trailer so far into the water when retrieving. On the fish front, they ended up with a small bream, while I was targeting mullet with my 6 y/o and we ended up with 20. He wound most of them in with the largest going 42 cm. Sorry  @MainframeJames you missed a good time. I think I'm up on kama now too. I'd replaced my bung and used some sikaflex and no water came out when I'd opened it so that was a win for me.

Sorry, no photos this time, but my boy, who'd been a bit  patience wearing on the boat said,, "Dad, this is the best day of my life", and that made it all worthwhile.He won the juniors section at the weigh in and that big mullet might be a board fish come the end of the season. 

Nice one mate, always good to help others in need out?

• Thanks 1

U Might not of caught the fish off a lifetime we all chase mate , but a gentleman u are and yes karma will return the favour in some shape or form in the future.

As our PM says.. good on u!

It's the Australian way to help others in need.

? of to u Anthony .  Good raider spirit there brother ! 

• Thanks 1