a reconaisance trip to the river

Howdy folks, so we're in to Autumn and that means the water in the Murrumbidgee starts to drop as the irrigation needs taper off. It won't be long before I can't use the boat as there will be metres of mud between the end of the ramp and start of the water. So I went for a drive along some of the dirt tracks that lead to the river. Pulled up at a nice looking spot on the outside of a long, sweeping bend, not much flow in the water. Clambered down the steep bank and put the shrimp net in. 

I had 2 rods. #1 with a running sinker down to a 4/0 hook baited with cubes of the finest Colby cheese. The other with a paternoster rig and a 3/0 hook loaded with dead shrimps (originally). The water was low and dropping, almost crystal clear as I cast in. Caught a very healthy Trout Cod (45 cms) on the cheese within 10 minutes. The other rod received some attention but the fish were being very timid, biting the shrimps in half but not hooking up. I figured the hook was probably TOO VISIBLE and changed it for a DAICHII size 8 hook. These hooks are remarkably strong considering their fine gauge...loaded up with a bunch of dead shrimp, (and later live shrimp), it was no longer visible. Cast in and caught a series of smallish Carp each time. Problem solved. The fish bites slowed down after a few hours, but not before I managed a Yellowbelly on the live shrimp paternoster rig...40 cms, it came home with me. The shrimp net had a stack of large shrimp in it which I'll freeze and use next time.

On the way home I called in at one of the 2 boat ramps which I regularly use. It was ok to use so may head out with the boat tomorrow. Thanks for reading and don't forget to fill the survey out.

Cheers, bn

5 hours ago, MainframeJames said:

Hey Neil, sounds like a great day out. This is the first I've heard of what sounds like a stationary shrimp net. Sounds like something worth a try. If it's not too much trouble, would you mind sending me a link to the one you use?

Hi MJ. The shrimp net which I use is available from that store with 3 letters in its name and also Big W. Rogue collapsible bait trap. This is what they look like. You can catch poddy mullet in them using bread in the bait compartment. bnIMG_0217rs.thumb.jpg.8d132318c67a03b4a63780dc2a38394b.jpgIMG_0218rs.thumb.jpg.978aa74e40af0dc927861ac14be8c471.jpgIMG_0219rs.thumb.jpg.84acf725b8e0ebbad0b0a232375bf6e7.jpg

• Thanks 1

Nice work BN! What does yellowbelly taste like? And how do you cook it? The only freshwater fish I’ve ever eaten was a trout. It tasted pretty muddy too. I’ve always been curious as to what freshwater species eat best. 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

2 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Nice work BN! What does yellowbelly taste like? And how do you cook it? The only freshwater fish I’ve ever eaten was a trout. It tasted pretty muddy too. I’ve always been curious as to what freshwater species eat best. 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Yellowbelly tastes like yellowbelly, of course! ?

I don’t mind them. They have a bit of fat in them, most of which comes out when you pull the anal fin out. Better eating than silver perch, IMO, that’s for sure. I like trout, don’t find them muddy at all. Of the southern native fish, I think I like freshwater catfish the best, or bass but I have only eaten the first one I ever caught... all others have been released.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, big Neil said:

Hi MJ. The shrimp net which I use is available from that store with 3 letters in its name and also Big W. Rogue collapsible bait trap. This is what they look like. You can catch poddy mullet in them using bread in the bait compartment. bnIMG_0217rs.thumb.jpg.8d132318c67a03b4a63780dc2a38394b.jpgIMG_0218rs.thumb.jpg.978aa74e40af0dc927861ac14be8c471.jpgIMG_0219rs.thumb.jpg.84acf725b8e0ebbad0b0a232375bf6e7.jpg

Thanks very much for that. I recognise it now that I see the pictures. For Prawns what do you put in for bait?

11 hours ago, MainframeJames said:

Thanks very much for that. I recognise it now that I see the pictures. For Prawns what do you put in for bait?

I don't use it for prawns but for freshwater shrimp, I use soap or dog biscuits. Both work very well. Simply put some in the little pocket and put the trap in so that it's parallel with the current. For poddy Mullet, use bread. bn

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Cheers scratchie!!! 

G'day Scratchie, hope you're well. I usually cook it whole wrapped in alfoil. Usually put in salt and pepper and some white wine. It tastes better than Murray Cod which tends to have more fat in the flesh. MC is best sent to the local fish and chip shop as skinned fillets. My mate there batters it and deep fries it. Better than fish that they sell. Redfin tastes good but is quite bony. Of course, they all taste different than fish from the sea. Cheers, bn

On 3/19/2018 at 9:34 PM, big Neil said:

Howdy folks, so we're in to Autumn and that means the water in the Murrumbidgee starts to drop as the irrigation needs taper off. It won't be long before I can't use the boat as there will be metres of mud between the end of the ramp and start of the water. So I went for a drive along some of the dirt tracks that lead to the river. Pulled up at a nice looking spot on the outside of a long, sweeping bend, not much flow in the water. Clambered down the steep bank and put the shrimp net in. 

I had 2 rods. #1 with a running sinker down to a 4/0 hook baited with cubes of the finest Colby cheese. The other with a paternoster rig and a 3/0 hook loaded with dead shrimps (originally). The water was low and dropping, almost crystal clear as I cast in. Caught a very healthy Trout Cod (45 cms) on the cheese within 10 minutes. The other rod received some attention but the fish were being very timid, biting the shrimps in half but not hooking up. I figured the hook was probably TOO VISIBLE and changed it for a DAICHII size 8 hook. These hooks are remarkably strong considering their fine gauge...loaded up with a bunch of dead shrimp, (and later live shrimp), it was no longer visible. Cast in and caught a series of smallish Carp each time. Problem solved. The fish bites slowed down after a few hours, but not before I managed a Yellowbelly on the live shrimp paternoster rig...40 cms, it came home with me. The shrimp net had a stack of large shrimp in it which I'll freeze and use next time.

On the way home I called in at one of the 2 boat ramps which I regularly use. It was ok to use so may head out with the boat tomorrow. Thanks for reading and don't forget to fill the survey out.

Cheers, bn

So I headed out yesterday with the boat. A very tough outing. The water has slowed to a mere trickle and that doesn't help with the bait fishing. Tough but not impossible, I managed this nice 48 cm IMG_0207rs.thumb.jpg.55f7f10ba5e5112aaf8d4c2fed1503ed.jpgIMG_0209rs.thumb.jpg.cff879da63687c5bdb0d01c676564d9a.jpgTrout Cod, a big Carp and half a dozen Murray Cod. I was only there for about 3 hours and they switched off. Headed home as I had plenty of things to do. bn

IMG_0211rs.jpg

• Like 4