Port Stephens- snapper season approaching!

Scratchie

G’day raiders,

Just a quick report from this morning. Took junior and his mate out this morning for a quick session. Fished my usual snapper grounds and they didn’t disappoint! Sps only! Managed 6 legal snapper on the first drift ranging from 45-65cm. Lost a beauty boat side to a failed net attempt! We realeased the rest on the following drifts. I still have 10kg of Spanish Mack in the freezer. Thought it would be fun for the boys if we trolled for a bit. They ended landing more than 12 bonito and some big buggers too. We had plenty double hook ups! Call it’s quits after 2 hours and headed home! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

2D547F04-010A-4D6F-A464-41A898BCC7D8.thumb.jpeg.77bcc7a72b4144e44cbc7062dd20b55a.jpegD0FC73CE-B482-4A5C-B9A5-F31CC7748301.thumb.jpeg.09a7564d85b3a6f1d067e51a30faf699.jpeg

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

Great stuff as always, Jeff! See any longtail about?

Mate, the water was way too cold at 20.1 deg. Couldn’t find as much bait has there has been in recent weeks. But the snapper were chewing their heads off! First light is the best time! :) 

• Like 1

Awesome stuff as usual. After catching a few bonnies myself of late i’ve found them great eating. Had them sashimi, beer battered and on the barbie. The missus and I loved them!

Didn’t consider them for the table before I read a few threads on Fishraider on how to look after them properly and I must say they turned out great.

1 hour ago, gundi4 said:

Awesome stuff as usual. After catching a few bonnies myself of late i’ve found them great eating. Had them sashimi, beer battered and on the barbie. The missus and I loved them!

Didn’t consider them for the table before I read a few threads on Fishraider on how to look after them properly and I must say they turned out great.

I've heard their pretty good but I've never been game to try them. I guess you have to bleed and ice them?

8 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Call it’s quits after 2 hours and headed home! 

C’mon Jeff! My missus might read this! She believes that it is just not possible to go to Broughton for only 2 hours fishing. I have to be out from 5am to 2pm at least! Ssshhhhh! ?

2 minutes ago, Peter Nelson said:

I've heard their pretty good but I've never been game to try them. I guess you have to bleed and ice them?

Definitely bleed them. I put them in the eski with sea water and frozen soft drink bottles of water. Fillet them and remove the bloodline. I like them as sashimi, or just on the BBQ. I’m going to try smoking them - I’ve heard they make a nice dip. They go a bit soft when frozen but I’m going to try the frozen fillets I have now in Thai fish cakes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Berleyguts said:

Definitely bleed them. I put them in the eski with sea water and frozen soft drink bottles of water. Fillet them and remove the bloodline. I like them as sashimi, or just on the BBQ. I’m going to try smoking them - I’ve heard they make a nice dip. They go a bit soft when frozen but I’m going to try the frozen fillets I have now in Thai fish cakes.

Sounds tasty Baz. I wouldn’t mind smoking some of those big slimmies, I reakon they would go alright too

5 hours ago, Peter Nelson said:

Another good session and report

looks like it’s getting a bit cool out there now mate I’ll have to dust the jacket off

Thanks! Definitely a bit colder than it has been :( 

5 hours ago, gundi4 said:

Cheers! Tried them every way known to man. Still a taste I can’t acquire. Good bait though! :) 

3 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

nice work jeff..the longtails are still around  mates got them during week  north and south of bay...rick

Cheers rick! They are still around for sure! Just not yesterday. Tuna birds still working hard. 

3 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

C’mon Jeff! My missus might read this! She believes that it is just not possible to go to Broughton for only 2 hours fishing. I have to be out from 5am to 2pm at least! Ssshhhhh! ?

Haha baz! Some of my best sessions are only 2hrs long! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Haha baz! Some of my best sessions are only 2hrs long! 

You talking about fishing or something else Scratchie? Pretty much a summary of a perfect day on the water for you and the gang. It all sounds very easy doesn't it, but there's a lifetime of experience involved in getting regular results like you do. Good report Jeff. bn

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Regan said:

great catch there scratchie

good to see you taking junior and his mate out

Thanks regan!  Considering my sons mate is allergic to fish which was challenging, they had a great day! 

11 hours ago, garfield28 said:

Nice fish Jeff, the kids would enjoy catching those couple of bangers, certainly beats sitting in front of the TV etc. 

The best water temp I got on Saturday was 20.5 according the the Lowrance.

Cheers mate! My kids love it! 

1 hour ago, big Neil said:

You talking about fishing or something else Scratchie? Pretty much a summary of a perfect day on the water for you and the gang. It all sounds very easy doesn't it, but there's a lifetime of experience involved in getting regular results like you do. Good report Jeff. bn

I said 2 hours not 2 minutes BN! :P

thanks mate, the key to it is the 6 P theory! 

Proper preparation prevents piss poor performance! 

Having everything rigged to go and plan in hand can make a huge difference to the outcome of your day! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

I said 2 hours not 2 minutes BN! :P

thanks mate, the key to it is the 6 P theory! 

Proper preparation prevents piss poor performance! 

Having everything rigged to go and plan in hand can make a huge difference to the outcome of your day! 

Yes swordie subscribes to that theory too Scratchie! Hours spent getting ready for even the smallest trip out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Yes swordie subscribes to that theory too Scratchie! Hours spent getting ready for even the smallest trip out.

That’s why he’s probably one of the best fishos I know! Always ready and prepared for anything! Just look at his success rate! No matter where he fished fresh or salt! I’ve  Learnt a lot from the old fella! B)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JonD said:

I love snapper fishing, next school hols I plan to head north for a little catch and release.

Worth the trip Jon! We released quite a few too! There was one larger model I would have liked a photo with though! But that’s fishing! 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Peter Nelson said:

Yep. I bleed and gill them straight away and get them on ice as soon as possible. Cut the fillets off at the boat ramp and remove the blood line and the flesh comes up a treat. Quite white with maybe a touch of very pale pink colour

• Like 1

Whats the best bait at this time of year for snapper?

I am going for a trip off Culburra this weekend.

Taking a heap of plastics down but what colours work well on snapper generally?

Hopefully catch some livies of yellow tail or slimies so that 

s going to be bait

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

Whats the best bait at this time of year for snapper?

I am going for a trip off Culburra this weekend.

Taking a heap of plastics down but what colours work well on snapper generally?

Hopefully catch some livies of yellow tail or slimies so that 

s going to be bait

Slimy strips lightly weighted or a slimy head. 

The only plastic sp you will need for snapper is a 5 inch zman shad in coconut ice! Or the 7inch same colour. 

Match this with a nitro tt 1/4 5/0 XH

12E7C223-D905-4A97-A1B6-1D06D9867E6A.thumb.jpeg.8751065296acfbbe029cf24bf03cfb9b.jpeg

• Like 1