"WONDER WOBBLER"

wazatherfisherman

The old "Wonder Wobbler" lure is an interesting part of our fishing history. I was wondering what was  1) your most memorable catch on one and  2) most unusual?                          My most memorable was my first lure caught Flathead, it was about 15 inches long (38 cm) caught in Taylor Bay I was told it was a "fluke" as Flathead didn't take lures, ha!              Most unusual was a giant cuttlefish off Nielsen Park Wharf

• Like 2

I've heard of those Waza but never seen one. Will have to check it out on the internet what they look like. People here tell me about the first Cod lures they used that had some sort of aeroplane propeller operating at the back. The old guys swear by them for catching big Cod. Cheers, bn

Same here Waza, you bought back some memories.

First lure caught Flathead was also on a Wonder Wobbler up at Umina Beach. Early 70's.

I had run out of prawns and this fellow said his son had caught them on lures before. I was doubtful but 5 minutes later I had one.

• Like 1

Used to be THE go to lure in the day. I caught many flathead and tailor on the chrome 1/4oz models and a few on the 1oz models. I still have a couple somewhere. I also have some coloured ones that caught a few trout in the day. An Aussie classic!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, big Neil said:

I've heard of those Waza but never seen one. Will have to check it out on the internet what they look like. People here tell me about the first Cod lures they used that had some sort of aeroplane propeller operating at the back. The old guys swear by them for catching big Cod. Cheers, bn

Hi BN the Wonder Wobblers initially came in either chrome or gold in 1/4 oz and 1 oz and as Baz said were the 'go to' lures in their day. Like Baz, I also have a couple of coloured ones, which were 'declared' Trout lures. The cod lure is more than likely the "Aeroplane Spinner" which was a series of 3 or 4 propellor blades, decreasing from large to small in size and was an all time favourite with Cod fisho's. Red on the outside and either green or brass on the inside, they have probably caught more really large cod than any other Aus made lure. To look at one you'd probably shake your head as they resemble nothing 'natural'. I've got a couple in the collection.  A 'new' version of them was brought out by Hawk(almost identical to the original) and I've got one in the original packaging, however it isn't as highly regarded by collectors as the "Aeroplane"

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Blackfish said:

Same here Waza, you bought back some memories.

First lure caught Flathead was also on a Wonder Wobbler up at Umina Beach. Early 70's.

I had run out of prawns and this fellow said his son had caught them on lures before. I was doubtful but 5 minutes later I had one.

Hi Blackfish mine was in 1974 and I was told it was a "fluke" as Flathead didn't take lures! I caught a second, almost identical sized one a week later off the same rock and again was told it must have "landed in it's mouth"- this time I saw the flattie come flying in from the side and grab the lure in front of me and was convinced you could fish for them with lures.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Used to be THE go to lure in the day. I caught many flathead and tailor on the chrome 1/4oz models and a few on the 1oz models. I still have a couple somewhere. I also have some coloured ones that caught a few trout in the day. An Aussie classic!

Hi Baz, wouldn't you love a dollar for every Tailor caught on one! Back in the day, you knew a lure was a 'good-un' when another company copied it, as "Alpha Wobblers" came out next with a tiny red plastic "enticer" on the split ring

• Like 1

Incidentally, my Uber ride took me past the Halco factory in Fremantle yesterday on the way to my charter. Had quite a discussion with the skipper re Wonder Wobblers and other classics. He gave me and the other client a few packs of Halco soft plastics that I can’t wait to try on snapper back east.

F30489E3-D13E-4584-9447-03E50242FFD2.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Found one in the Shed today.  3/8 OZ. Might just put  a new split ring and treble on it then take it away in a couple of months up NW. Little fella may not survive. :lol:

P1120853.jpg

Edited by Blackfish
  • Like 2

Still got a few in my tackle box too. Back in the day, my go to lures were either Wonder Wobblers, Celtas or Flatfish. Mainly used for freshwater, trout, redfin etc, but the wonder wobbler was very effective on tailor and salmon.

• Like 1