Fishing with alternative baits

Fufu

Hi All

Wondering if anyone has tried using meat/steak as an alternative for bait?

I was thinking of cutting the meat (possibly back straps) into thin strips to mimic a worm. 

I also wanted to marinate it with soy sauce/tuna oil, Parmesan cheese and maybe garlic

I have tried the above with chicken and have had some success but I wanted to try it with meat and see if anyone out there has had any luck targeting the bread and butter species?

Fufu

When we were kids we used to fish for yellow eye mullet and other small fish and the standard bait was beef heart. It worked well.

Nontheless, I’ve always believed land-based meats were inferior baits to marine ones because generally they lack oil and therefore good scent dispersants. That doesn’t stop chicken working though.

if I was going to marinate beef I’d do so with some proven commercial fish scent like S-Factor rather then the dubious culinary products you mention. If nothing else, the beef will act as a vehicle for the scent which should be enough to get you a fish.

8 hours ago, Fufu said:

Hi All

I was thinking of cutting the meat (possibly back straps) into thin strips to mimic a worm. 

I also wanted to marinate it with soy sauce/tuna oil, Parmesan cheese and maybe garlic

I'm happy for you to test these baits on me first (minus the tuna oil). I like baits cooked medium thanks?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, BuckWild said:

I'm happy for you to test these baits on me first (minus the tuna oil). I like baits cooked medium thanks?

? my missus said the same thing. At least either way I’ll come home with a feed

Fufu

On 8/25/2018 at 1:34 PM, Fufu said:

Hi All

I have tried the above with chicken and have had some success but I wanted to try it with meat and see if anyone out there has had any luck targeting the bread and butter species?

Fufu

Hey mate, i have used stir fry strips of beef before and has worked for catching little bream, they must think its a worm, make sure its thin, don't chuck half a cow in there ? I also regularly use chicken breast and parmy on almost any fishing trip, best thing i can suggest is using a syringe with a small needle and filling it with tuna oil or some sort of fish oil and putting the needle into the actual meat/or chicken so it soaks it up. Did this with the beef strips and chicken and have caught a decent bream, also if going for bream and snapper specifically, chicken with tuna oil injected into it then soaked in parmy and wrapped in a bit of bread has worked for me several times, they must think its like a chicken in pijamas or something. Reason I wrapped in bread is it seams to keep the parmy on the chicken for longer. i would try the same on beef strips, if its marinated i dare say it will just ooze off it and not be on the bait for long, use a syringe. 

13 hours ago, Squ!rt said:

Hey mate, i have used stir fry strips of beef before and has worked for catching little bream, they must think its a worm, make sure its thin, don't chuck half a cow in there ? I also regularly use chicken breast and parmy on almost any fishing trip, best thing i can suggest is using a syringe with a small needle and filling it with tuna oil or some sort of fish oil and putting the needle into the actual meat/or chicken so it soaks it up. Did this with the beef strips and chicken and have caught a decent bream, also if going for bream and snapper specifically, chicken with tuna oil injected into it then soaked in parmy and wrapped in a bit of bread has worked for me several times, they must think its like a chicken in pijamas or something. Reason I wrapped in bread is it seams to keep the parmy on the chicken for longer. i would try the same on beef strips, if its marinated i dare say it will just ooze off it and not be on the bait for long, use a syringe. 

Wow I never thought ever of using a syringe. It’s a bit tedious but I can definitely see the benefits of it. 

I wonder if oyster sauce would be just as effective as tuna oil?

Id like to see how I go with steak as an alternative to chicken 

Fufu

17 minutes ago, Fufu said:

Wow I never thought ever of using a syringe. It’s a bit tedious but I can definitely see the benefits of it. 

I wonder if oyster sauce would be just as effective as tuna oil?

Id like to see how I go with steak as an alternative to chicken 

Fufu

G'day again I live in Croydon and have fished the bays around Five Dock -Drummoyne for over 40 years. One of the most popular baits people use when fishing the area has always been skirt steak- I stress skirt because it has a 'grain' that is tubular in appearance, not unlike a worm. Just cut it along it's 'grain' and feed on similar to using a worm. The common rig used by most for daylight hours is long rod, large ball sinker, bead, swivel then long trace- 3 to 5 feet down to hook. There is virtually no tidal run and casts are directed towards the moored boats where the bigger Bream often sit underneath in daylight hours, hence the large sinker. Same rig is used if worms are the bait. Fishing this way is pretty 'laid back' and doesn't produce big numbers of fish, however they are often excellent size. There is a guy we call "King of the Bay" who tries to fish almost every day even if only for an hour or so. He sets up two or three rods across the road from where he lives and regardless of what other bait he has, one rod is always baited with skirt steak soaked in olive oil, garlic and parmesan cheese.  Every so often he'll say "got another good 'un the other day"- when we ask "what on?" answer is mostly "on me marinated steak, of course!" His "good 'uns" are usually awesome size Bream. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

G'day again I live in Croydon and have fished the bays around Five Dock -Drummoyne for over 40 years. One of the most popular baits people use when fishing the area has always been skirt steak- I stress skirt because it has a 'grain' that is tubular in appearance, not unlike a worm. Just cut it along it's 'grain' and feed on similar to using a worm. The common rig used by most for daylight hours is long rod, large ball sinker, bead, swivel then long trace- 3 to 5 feet down to hook. There is virtually no tidal run and casts are directed towards the moored boats where the bigger Bream often sit underneath in daylight hours, hence the large sinker. Same rig is used if worms are the bait. Fishing this way is pretty 'laid back' and doesn't produce big numbers of fish, however they are often excellent size. There is a guy we call "King of the Bay" who tries to fish almost every day even if only for an hour or so. He sets up two or three rods across the road from where he lives and regardless of what other bait he has, one rod is always baited with skirt steak soaked in olive oil, garlic and parmesan cheese.  Every so often he'll say "got another good 'un the other day"- when we ask "what on?" answer is mostly "on me marinated steak, of course!" His "good 'uns" are usually awesome size Bream. 

I grew up in Croydon Park so I know the area very well.  

It seems the most common cut of meat is skirt steak. It’s been recommended the most. The only thing that seems to differ is what mixes to have with it. 

Being daylight I guess you would need a trace that long and I’m pretty sure I would set up like this

I do appreciate the response and I’d love to hear more

Fufu

10 hours ago, Fufu said:

I grew up in Croydon Park so I know the area very well.  

It seems the most common cut of meat is skirt steak. It’s been recommended the most. The only thing that seems to differ is what mixes to have with it. 

Being daylight I guess you would need a trace that long and I’m pretty sure I would set up like this

I do appreciate the response and I’d love to hear more

Fufu

Feel free to ask any questions you have! Happy to part with any useful info I have

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Green Hornet said:

I reckon something like S-Factor or one of the other purpose made lure scents would be certainly worth a try.

Berkley Gulp alive attractant works pretty well, i wouldn't use oyster or fish sauce, definitely some sort of fish oil made for it.

I have used meat in the past my experience is when the bite is not on it leaches pretty quick losing all colour and flavor but from the other posts seems you can add more. I am a big fan of pilchards but that's because they suit the way I fish and what I target, next would be lures from sabiki  for bait fish to halco metals, platics and hardbodies like rapala. all have produced for me.  

• Like 1

On 8/29/2018 at 4:11 PM, Squ!rt said:

Berkley Gulp alive attractant works pretty well, i wouldn't use oyster or fish sauce, definitely some sort of fish oil made for it.

Why wouldn’t you use oyster sauce?

Heard it does ok

Fufu

Guest Guest123456789

Hey Fufu,

There’s a spot I fish in my local system that is near an old abbatoir. The workers would often throw old carcasses straight into the river. MAny of the bream there developed a taste for beef and pork. I found floater baits worked best (guessing it replicated scraps coming off the bone). Bacon seems to float better than meat so strips worked well for me, particularly streaky smoked bacon. Seemed to hold on the hook well also. 

Edited by Guest123456789
Typo

11 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

Hey Fufu,

There’s a spot I fish in my local system that is near an old abbatoir. The workers would often throw old carcasses straight into the river. MAny of the bream there developed a taste for beef and pork. I found floater baits worked best (guessing it replicated scraps coming off the bone). Bacon seems to float better than meat so strips worked well for me, particularly streaky smoked bacon. Seemed to hold on the hook well also. 

Never heard of bacon as bait lol

Fufu