First up, this is my first fishing report so I'll see how I go. So I'm not too experienced at fishing, however, I've been reading up on everything about how to catch fish and today I feel like I finally did some stuff right. So me and a mate headed down to my local wharf armed with servo prawns and a dread of not catching fish ,I have caught fish before but before this never 2 in one session and it is rare that I large fish (I think this is because of a combination of bad bait, improper use of lures and poor reading of locations.). So we dropped our lines in and fished for almost half an hour without so much as a nibble. At this point things were looking down. It was now that my mate tried his luck with a few casts to pylons near the wharf and was getting some nibbles, I quickly sent a cast to where he was getting bites. On my second cast, I felt a nibble and quickly sent another cast out after failing to hook the fish. Once again I failed to hook the fish, I then tried to thing why I was hooking it and I decided it was because it was pulling the bait of the long shank hook rather than sucking it all in. This time I put only a little bit of bait on the very end. This worked and I was amazed to see a massive whiting on the end of my line. It measured in at 37cm. I continued fishing and caught 2 bream 1 snapper and another whiting, however, unfortunately, they were all very undersize apart from the whiting which was barely legal. Still, I was very happy with this session. Sorry if this report was too long. BTW I was using I think size 6 long shank hooks with a sinker running right down to the hook which had a little bit of prawn on the end. I use these small hooks because they can catch both whiting and small bream, however, I would love to start catching bigger bream so if this is the wrong set up or you have any advice please let me know.

Edited by mrsswordfisherman
Make your tags less :)
  • Like 1

On 10/6/2018 at 10:41 PM, SickWolf said:

37cm is a great whiting and the only improvement on your rig is having a leader and swivel so your sinker doesnt go straight down to your hook.

If you do put it straight to hook keep it small and put two small beads on after the sinker to protect the hook knot

• Thanks 1

You said you were casting at a pylon? Try using the smallest sinker possible maybe try a size 0 or size 1 sinker, and a light leader around 6lb mark it will make a huge difference, bream dont like feeling weight when running off with the bait, so the lighter the sinker and the lighter you can get away with a leader, should help you in some sort of way! 

Tight lines

• Thanks 1