Why Do You Fish?

Gibbofisho

I know i fish to escape it all for a bit, its one of the only things where you can sit on your ass, can on and still be claiming to do something!

During the week at work all i can think about is what my plan of attack is going to be for the weekend, i constantly scan google earth while checking the weather to see where will be the best place to throw a line and what i should target. I cant get it out of my head for the life of me!

And lastly i find that when you have a line in the water, every other worry in the world vanishes and all you can think about is what is happening at the end of your line!

Plus its a great way to score a feed, catch up with mates and enjoy the outdoors!!!

The Challenge, the thrill of the hunt and when your fishing with lures you dont know whats coming next.

I also love the way fish hit lures and dam.... its exciting stuff. Im convinced im addicted to the sound of a sreaming reel and i love fishing for big fish with light tackle. I love a fresh feed of fish, I guess its the caveman instinct coming through like how gardeners get a feeling of satisfaction from growing their own vegetables. And getting away from it all i love it. I find it to be a very rewarding hobby.

I actually enjoy fishing with the kids, it's a fantastic way to teach them about nature and spend quality time with them while doing something I enjoy. But in saying that I do like to chuck a line without them.

Like you all said the thrill of the chase and just the joy of getting outside

for me it comes down to being on the water.

if i'm out with my family it's a great way to spend time together without the distractions of tv's, housework etc.

if i'm out with mates it's about good convo's, common interests , a few laughs and the thrill of never knowing what will happen next.

if i'm out on my own its about contemplating my navel and getting the sort of relaxation that see's you asleep on the lounge at the end of the day after only having 2 or 3 beers.

regardless of who i am out with i supose it all comes down to the feeling that the stress and agro of the working week can fade away .

and of course you cant beat a feed of fresh fish if you just happen to pick up a few while your out there.

I enjoy it and find it relaxing. Its a great way to spend time with my children while they are young. We get to be together, talk and just relax and forget anything elses thats happening in the world.

When I am with friends its just great fun and we can be lads once again.

I just find it relaxing... Doesn't matter if i'm with my girlfriend, with mates or by myself - it's a matter of kicking back, having a few quiet beers and enjoying the serenity. Catching a good fish or three is a bonus and obviously a day catching fish is better than getting nothing, but it's all about being on the water for me...

Seems like my worries and stresses about work, life etc just fade away when i'm on the water... And besides, fishing is one of the most fun things you can do with clothes on... :1prop:

Cheers,

Paul...

I think for me it's kind of like gambling but with out loosing so much money :074:

If I can't see the bottom anything could be down there! You just never know.

Guess that's why every time I say "just one last cast and then I'll leave" to myself I never do.

I'm pretty new to Aussie fishing having come from New Zealand. Now I have a whole new raft of firsts to catch and tactics to try. Even when I come home empty handed it just causes me to rethink my strategy or spend another few hours trawling Fishraider looking for tips.

Come to think of it, they have groups for all sorts of addictions, drugs, booze and gambling. Do they have one for fishing?

I fish coz i can drink piss and sit on my ass to catch a feed while my old man complains about everything and anything while mum sits at home wondering why i STILL havent finished the painting, the lawn, the weeding, the kitchen, taken the rubbish out, vacumed, cleaned the kitchen, done the dishes.... ahh thats right i work too MUM!!!

Forgot to add, you fellas betta stop complaining about your 'missus', Mums are just as bad, and i dont live with my missus.

Edited by knapers

Good answers.

I like the gambling comparison. I guess that's why I especially like bottombashing in deeper water as you never know what's on the end. I LOVE making 'the call' on the retrieve, "It's a Flatty for sure" . . . and then it's a Leatherjacket!

I like getting up early and seeing the sun rise over the ocean.

I like drinking beer at 6am.

I like talking with my mates for hours and hours.

I like being on boats.

I like the expectation all week and making the plan.

Ok.. here is my ramble..

(Apologies the bar opened a little early at work today....something with me having the key i guess)

When you’re a few km’s out.. or on a river, lake, puddle etc etc..

there is no better feeling when the sun is just rising or sinking.

The anticipation is hard to describe…

(Hunting is like this as well)

To me its not about catching fish.. thou a little do help.

It about getting out there... and having a bit of an adventure.

Good mates, “beers at dawn” and the shared feeling of pain, weather it be from the cold, bluebottles on the anchor rope or freezer burn from an ice cold esky, just all add to the experience and help to spice up tales told around more beers.

The planning, the prep, the trying out a new spot all add to the adventure of the “whats out there”.

If we all went out and caught big fish everyday, then I think we would get bored.

It’s the feeling of finding that ‘Spot”, or getting that “hit” or even seeing the water a particular colour…little things like that…

That’s what life is all about

I have mates who don’t understand me waking up at weird hours to go out there.

The idea to go out chasin fish is beyond them

When asked why I do it, I mutter something about the one that got away and

“That I am here for a good time.. not a long time!!”

Truth be told, I can’t say why I do it..

I just do, I guess thats fishin....