Jig heads

smc2010

Hi raiders so I'm having some issue with jig heads and dropping fish. I like to kill a few hours after work flicking for flattys around some of the Sydney estuaries, I usually have success and catch a few but for some reason I am dropping more fish than I land, For example I might hook 8 but land 4, or worse hook 4 and land one 😂 I know it's the way it goes you can't land them all but I have recently dropped some big girls some around the 80+ mark and getting quite pi$$ed off. I use the mustad jig heads and match jig head size to plastics. So I don't think hook to plastic proportions are the issue. I have tried landing the fish as quickly as possible and I have let the fish tire itself out but they manage to shake or drop the hooks somehow. Has anyone had this issue or can anyone suggest something to help as I think it's fair to say you should definitely be landing more than you drop. Thanks in advance for any help.

sean

Depends a lot on what mood the flathead are in, they often grab the SP, hang on until at the boat , then open their mouth and let go !!!! Never actually being hooked.   Scent helps ( Sax Scent aussie made )   and going to a smaller plastic.   Some use a stinger hook, but I haven't !   .   Howard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluefin said:

Depends a lot on what mood the flathead are in, they often grab the SP, hang on until at the boat , then open their mouth and let go !!!! Never actually being hooked.   Scent helps ( Sax Scent aussie made )   and going to a smaller plastic.   Some use a stinger hook, but I haven't !   .   Howard.

Cheers Howard I'm using plastics around the 100mm mark little squidgy wrigglers up to 4/5" paddle tails etc. I fish mostly landbased, maybe a stinger hook might work, could be something to look into but would it effect action of the plastic?? I use S factor as scent and it seems to do the trick. 

Bluefin makes a good point, at times I think the same thing where the hook hasn't penetrated the soft flesh of the mouth & if your not keeping the tension on the line just right or the angle of the fight changes then the jighead just pulls straight out of the mouth.

More often than not losing fish on SP's comes down to keeping that line tension on all the time & never allowing any slack line or by not keeping the rod tip high enough, especially on the take.

The later keeps the angle of the line/jighead/plastic upwards instead of inline with the fishes mouth//body.

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, xerotao said:

Sounds to me like you arent setting the hooks?

I agree with this.

When I fished bream comps using ultra light leaders. I must have pulled hundreds of flathead to the boat where you could clearly see the lure was well inside their mouth. When close enough they'd just open up, spit it out and swim off.

When they bite a plastic they bite hard and hang on. You really need to strike hard to make sure you sink that hook into them.

Aside from that, make sure your hook is razor sharp and hone it up if it isn't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, xerotao said:

Sounds to me like you arent setting the hooks?

I definitely am striking the fish when I get a bite I thaught the same after I dropped the first few I give it a good strike but not to extreme as @Green Hornet mentioned about them holding on but not hooked, and  I don't give them a second of slack line. Try to keep drag fairly low  but a steady wind in order to have constant pressure but giving them a chance to run if the need it as I fish light gear. It seems to be when I get them near shore the give a few head shakes and I end up watching them swim away. I'm generally catch and release anyways but we all like to have a picture of a few fish, 

One thing that I find with flatties on SPs is that it is always worth keeping the rod tip low and to the side so you don't lift their head out of the water which can result in losing the fish.

I like Rick's idea of closing the gape on hooks, definitely going to try that.

1 hour ago, smc2010 said:

It seems to be when I get them near shore the give a few head shakes and I end up watching them swim away.

If that's the case then try to keep there head down below the water line for as long as possible & have the net at the ready.

I try to get them into the net before the head has broken the surface otherwise they will jump & possibly throw the hook.

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

If that's the case then try to keep there head down below the water line for as long as possible & have the net at the ready.

I try to get them into the net before the head has broken the surface otherwise they will jump & possibly throw the hook.

Ye I'm starting to think that might be some of the problem I have since bought a net, thanks everybody for all the help and advice will touch back after next flatty session hopefully il have a pb picture 

I used to have same issue in the past. Now I fish with stronger leader/line, tighter drag and stiffer rod, so hook can be set properly. May be not so finesse,  however so far no lost fish - no matter what is rod position or net availability.

• Like 1

I don't really set the hook, maybe I do subconsciously but certainly don't make a big effort of it.  Good sharp hooks seem to work with braid.     

Not using a net could be some of it I could not tell you how many fish I've had shake the hook in the net as soon as the pressure is off.  Since changing from bait to soft plastics almost exclusively I have noticed less swallowed hooks (ok none) with soft plastics vs bait.  This also means that a lip hooked fish (on soft plastics) has a better chance of shaking the hook if pressure is let off.   If one is used to fishing with bait and gut hooking lots of fish you can get away with letting the pressure off once in a while and still be hooked up.  Using soft plastics you need to keep the pressure on till in the net.    Good luck.

Bear

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sea Ranger said:

I don't really set the hook, maybe I do subconsciously but certainly don't make a big effort of it.  Good sharp hooks seem to work with braid.     

Not using a net could be some of it I could not tell you how many fish I've had shake the hook in the net as soon as the pressure is off.  Since changing from bait to soft plastics almost exclusively I have noticed less swallowed hooks (ok none) with soft plastics vs bait.  This also means that a lip hooked fish (on soft plastics) has a better chance of shaking the hook if pressure is let off.   If one is used to fishing with bait and gut hooking lots of fish you can get away with letting the pressure off once in a while and still be hooked up.  Using soft plastics you need to keep the pressure on till in the net.    Good luck.

Bear

Cheers bear thanks for the advice 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/30/2018 at 3:59 PM, Hill373737 said:

... I like Rick's idea of closing the gape on hooks, definitely going to try that.

What are the thoughts on closing the gape a little bit with also some side angle being applied, like a typical hook? Seems to me it might adds value, but haven't tried it just thought of that reading your post..
408306453_2019-02-1319_16_18-Window.png.a664e9a2e4bdc714391fcf6ea1565d2c.png

Try a finer/lighter gauge jighead hook (nitro bream pro range I've found to be great).
They penetrate through the tough mouth/lip way easier than thicker gauge jigheads, as such setting the hooks (especially on light line) is much easier.

I had the same issue and the switch to fine gauge hooks/jigheads solved it for me.