New Rod not assemble completely

Constant

Had this on a Abu Veritas recently. I got some ultra fine sandpaper and very carefully sanded down the male section until it was a snug fit and now its perfect. Obviously be very careful you dont take to much off or you're stuffed. leaving it as is I would be worried about having enough lap length to transfer the load between the two sections without risking failure at the joint.

Cheers,

Rich

34 minutes ago, Constant said:

This is MajorCraft Solpara SPS832EL EGI. I think it is saying Carbon Blank so not sure whether graphite. I have a few rods and none look like this. So just make me worry it will fall when casting.

It shouldn’t come out if it is pushed in snug, only you won’t have the full intended strength of the join if you leave it like that.

I’m no rod expert but I have had a few like this. First I would give both ends a very good clean. Have a look inside the female end with a light to make sure there is nothing obvious that is stopping it going in further. 

If it still won’t go in all the way then get some fine sandpaper and take a smidgen (micro) off the male end until it goes in all the way. Work VERY slow and keep checking the fit. It’s an easy, simple process really. 

Hi,

normal process for quite a few rod manufacturers now.

https://tforods.ca/blogs/news/blank-over-ferrule-technology

I build quite a few rods, mainly fly rods and this is common.

Be careful if you remove anything from the 'male' end as with wear and tear in normal use, you will end up with a loose joint and then the problems really begin.

Tinkicka

2 hours ago, Tinkicka said:

Hi,

normal process for quite a few rod manufacturers now.

https://tforods.ca/blogs/news/blank-over-ferrule-technology

I build quite a few rods, mainly fly rods and this is common.

Be careful if you remove anything from the 'male' end as with wear and tear in normal use, you will end up with a loose joint and then the problems really begin.

Tinkicka

What about rods that fit properly from new? Are you saying they will get loose with use?

Edited by Hateanchors

If you read the article, it states that the female part of the ferrule is the section that wears and allows the male part to sit further into it. If you remove part of the male ferrule so that the two wrap bands sit flush (so that the raw section of the CF rod is removed) then any wear in the female ferrule, through normal use as stated in the article, can only result in a loose fit because the male part cannot move further into the female ferrule because of the restriction caused by the wrap band.

If you measure the dimensions of the male ferrule, they will show a very slight taper, with the thin section at the end. It has been designed and manufactured that way to allow for normal wear and tear. I had extensive communication with two manufacturers when I first came across this when building rods. They provided the link to the article.

Tinkicka

48 minutes ago, Tinkicka said:

If you read the article, it states that the female part of the ferrule is the section that wears and allows the male part to sit further into it. If you remove part of the male ferrule so that the two wrap bands sit flush (so that the raw section of the CF rod is removed) then any wear in the female ferrule, through normal use as stated in the article, can only result in a loose fit because the male part cannot move further into the female ferrule because of the restriction caused by the wrap band.

If you measure the dimensions of the male ferrule, they will show a very slight taper, with the thin section at the end. It has been designed and manufactured that way to allow for normal wear and tear. I had extensive communication with two manufacturers when I first came across this when building rods. They provided the link to the article.

Tinkicka

Ok Sorry. I just seen the picture on my desktop. Its not as bad as I thought. If it was mine I would sand a little to maybe close up the gap to half of what it is for a better fit. 

Obviously, never take off so much as to let it go all the way until it hits the outside of top section.

Anyway, from my experience I've never seen these joins get looser from 'wear and tear'. Only tighter.

8 hours ago, Constant said:

This is MajorCraft Solpara SPS832EL EGI. I think it is saying Carbon Blank so not sure whether graphite. I have a few rods and none look like this. So just make me worry it will fall when casting.

Carbon=graphite,  the rest is just marketing. Though plenty of rods (incl. even Ugly Sticks) are actually composite i.e graphite + some other stuff at various proportion.

I would use a  very "thin" sandpaper on a "male" part, and avoid any soap or very hard pushing inside.  I used to have exactly the same problem with a rod and pushed the parts too hard. Later when I tried to remove the rod part - a piece of "male" part broke off and was left permanently inside, so I had no choice other than to assemble the rod again and keep it permanently as 1 piece rod.  I am lucky it was only 7 feet rod.

8 hours ago, Constant said:

I have the exact same brand and model and have used it for over 7 or 8 years know from casting and catching trout to 21/2kg and casting for hours on end using size 2.5 to 3 jigs for calamari and even managed to lift a couple of 40cm hood length up off the ocean rocks carefully & never had the ferrule (2 piece) come loose or twist, mine is the same as in your pic. I think tinkicka is spot on,& with the male end slipping in 50+mm it is a good solid joint                

• Like 1

Hi All,

I bought a Shimano Jewel 9' rod recently and had the same problem. The gap was about the same as in the picture. I left it for a couple days and had another go at putting it together. This time it went together. I don't know what happen the first time. Never had this problem before.

Cheers.

On 1/18/2019 at 3:08 PM, Constant said:

Here's a photo of mine, I believe   it's exactly the same rod. I've never had a problemIMG_0978.jpg.a6521acec2387b225571f008ed50a1e7.jpgIMG_0979.jpg.5c62c3d9d5d873c5a2680c1c3ec481fc.jpg