Hawksbury Launch Sunday

saltrix

With a forecast of strong northerlys followed by a gusty southerly change we were not keen to be out wide on the flathead grounds off Broken  Bay so decided to have a quite day in the river.

Set a couple of witches hats off Dangar and did a couple of drifts in the bay at Patonga to catch one flathead going 39cm, it seemed small after the flathead I usually get out at sea but as it was   legal and required for tea we kept it .

The small reds then kept taking the bait and as I do not like injuring them we gave it away and drifted out along the shore towards Lion Island.  There were a lot of pickers around and my mate had only a small bit of his 1/2 pilchard left and decided to put it back anyhow, then got a very nice flathead on it.

southern-shore-27.thumb.jpg.b594c6a4dd292d50edd2938e7210ae9f.jpg

This seemed to be a popular drift as there were several boats doing the drift.

It got a bit quite then so we decided as the wind was not too bad to try a troll around Barrenjoey as we used to get good fish there  at times. Not today though and there were a lot of boats in the area.

We then went to a close mark we had off Palm Beach and fished the bottom for a nice morwong, an u/s Pearl Perch, a wrasse, and several Sargeant Baker, and several u/s reds. Kept the wrasse and morwong and returned the rest undamaged.

The sea was pretty calm at this point.

seas-27th.thumb.jpg.54ebd9ecc6b7533dc467f9d77558066d.jpg

Returned to pick up the wiches hats. and stopped in the Bay to pick up 6 Tailor on metal slices, which only just made the 30cm but were fun on the light rods, and when we got to the hats found  one nice male, and as it was getting warm called it a day. The southerly was a bit late up there but it did come a bit strong later.

Sunday-27-fish.thumb.jpg.ef04123b17a6d9dbdaccea7a9a2fb442.jpg

Got a few meals out of it and a bit of bait for next week.

• Like 4