Prawn Scoop Nets

sydney south

I have been searching for a couple of long handle prawn nets, as I want to get back into prawning from my boat in Tuncurry and when I was young used a long handled net in Sussex Inlet.

All I have been able to find is the short handle type, that prompted me to look at the rules.

Think that the drop length of the net is the total length from the end of the handle to the bottom of the net.

Any help will be welcomed.

Scoop net

scoop net
  • Maximum diameter of hoop or ring 0.6 metres.
  • Minimum mesh size 20mm measured across the diagonal.
  • Drop (length of net) no more than 1.25 metres.
  • Must be used by hand and not staked or set.
  • Must not be joined or placed with any other net.
  • Only one net per person at any time.
  • Other fish caught while fishing for prawns may be kept, however, bag and size limits

I am sure that I read a number of years back that long handled prawn nets were no longer legal. I thought at the time that I couldn't use mine as they were all long handled. BUT. It appears that once again I am wrong  Sorry.

19 minutes ago, JimC said:

I am sure that I read a number of years back that long handled prawn nets were no longer legal. I thought at the time that I couldn't use mine as they were all long handled. BUT. It appears that once again I am wrong  Sorry.

Hi Jim, things change from one year to another so what was accepted one year may not be ok the next.

Size & bag limirs change & without public notice really.

Personally I think at least email or txt notices should be sent out when something changes but unfortunately the onus is on you as an angler to know the current rules.

Not really a fair senario imo but thats what we are up against 

6 hours ago, JimC said:

Thanks Jim as kingie chaser said these DPI rules do change. 

Lucky we have this wonderful internet that links us to all the info :)