New Soft Plastic Setup

Raen09

Hi Everyone,

I am from Western Sydney and recently discovered this great forum.

I have been having a read through and am loving the great knowledge being shared here.

Traditionally I have fished for Bream, Whiting, Flathead and Snapper on bait with light-medium spin setups with my real love being Luderick fishing.

However, recently I have got the itch to try this soft plastic thing that so many people are going on about.

So I have been looking at the soft plastic rod and reel options and boy are there a lot however I feel I may have settled on the following combination and would love to see if anyone can share any knowledge on this rod and reel:

Rod - Shimano Raider 762Bream $104

Reel - Shimano Nasci 2500 $109

My budget is up to $200 or there abouts.

Looking forward to your great insights.

Tim.

Thank you Kingie Chaser.

Any idea on braid and leader for chasing flathead and bream?

Ive heard flathead are an easier first target for the soft plastics so my intention is to chase them first and then move on to bream when I have gained some knowledge.

I have been tossing up between 4lb and 6lb braid but wholly dooly is there so many brands... 😟

That's a good setup to start out with for light sp fishing. A chance encounter with a rat kingie may persuade you to get heavier gear though it is possible on the gear you have listed if the conditions allow.

I'd save some money for cheapish braid in the 6lb variety. I say cheapish because you may lose some line in the first few months of SP fishing. I have used kastking super power braid on eBay and landed fish. Or a quick browse of songs showed this option (8lb is also fine):

https://www.dinga.com.au/cortland-rz-4-pe-braid-line-dark-green-150yd-50lb-110403-17870.html

For leader, I only use FC Rock. For bream and whiting - no more than 8LB. For flatties (and chance encounters with kingies) I'd say 12LB feels about right (use a loop knot if the leader is quite rigid).

9 hours ago, Raen09 said:

Thank you Kingie Chaser.

Ive heard flathead are an easier first target for the soft plastics so my intention is to chase them first and then move on to bream when I have gained some knowledge.

I have been tossing up between 4lb and 6lb braid but wholly dooly is there so many brands... 😟

I tend to stick to 8lb on my light set ups buts that's because I don't target one species, fluro leader can go up or down.

If its bream you really want tp target as a suggestion if you haven't already done so see if you can find some footage/tv show of the NSW bream tournaments for gaining tips & strategies.

I watched one recently which I cant recall the name(Mark Berg was host) & its was a great watch & gave me a good bit of info, I myself am going to target bream a but more & Im going to buy some crank baits & vibes over SP's, they seam to be all the rage at the moment. 

Thank you for the advice everyone.

The wife said she will get the rod and reel for my birthday so that's settled!

@Antham I actuall have 6 and 8lb FC rock in my garage that I have used fishing for Luderick so that sounds like a goer to me.

14 hours ago, Raen09 said:

Thank you for the advice everyone.

The wife said she will get the rod and reel for my birthday so that's settled!

@Antham I actuall have 6 and 8lb FC rock in my garage that I have used fishing for Luderick so that sounds like a goer to me.

Fine for bream and whiting but watch out if you hook into a flattie. 12lb fc rock would be good, 14-16lb would be better to cover the kingie risk.

On 2/25/2019 at 9:46 PM, Raen09 said:

Thank you Kingie Chaser.

I would go 6lb braid (over 4lb) to start... 4lb begins to get really thin and i find it's more prone to wind knots if not careful.... we've caught small bream through to 75cm+ flatties on 6lb with no issues.  Leader we generally use 8lb but change up 10lb/down6lb depending on area being fished.

Get the same rod from dinga currently $100, you'll also get free delivery if you're a dinga member. And the Nasci is $104.

https://www.dinga.com.au/shimano-raider-spinning-rods.html

https://www.dinga.com.au/shimano-nasci-fb-spinning-fishing-reels-nasci16.html

Edited by nutsaboutfishing

Hi Tim,

Very nice combo. Just check that the rod is the one rated for 3-12gm lure weights (which the 762 model should be). I have had a series one of these for over a decade and it gets fished weekly or more. I have a series 2 (Mexican fire) of the same which I use when teaching people how to use soft plastics and in the 2-4kg weight class it is the rod I suggest as a benchmark before you buy a rod. There are lighter rods out there but I find they often have a longer butt which impacts on my forearm when fishing my usual rod tip down style. Just watch you don't split the cork of the reel seat by overtightening when attaching a reel.

The Nasci is a really nice reel too. If you can, get a second spool which you can then use for a different line class. In my case I bought 3 Symetres 2500 years ago which gave me some extra spools. The 2 spare bodies sat in the cupboard till I retired the first Symetre and that way I could switch spools easily. I've just bought three 2500 Sedonas so I could have spools with 4lb braid, 8lb braid and 6lb mono (for blackfish).

The line is a little trickier. Most braids overtest and some substantially so. I've used PowerPro in the 4lb in white for years. I recently picked up some Berkley X5 in white and have been pretty impressed so far and have found on the box that while it is stated to be 4lb it has been tested to breaking at about 11lb. Look at diameter - while setting up a friend's outfit we picked up some green Shimano Kairiki which felt impressively thin so in that case we went to 6lb rather than my default 4lb. Try breaking some of these lines in your hands and you will find you cut yourself before the line breaks. Main line to leader knot will have an effect on the breaking strength. Increases in line class and probably diameter will have an impact on casting distance so go as light as you feel comfortable. You should also increase hook up rate. In my opinion people make a mistake in that they go heavier than they need because of "what if" concerns - e.g. if I hook a king while chasing bream or a shark chasing flathead. Sooner or later it may happen but if you know your gear you have a reasonable chance of landing that king, even on the 4lb lines. My best was a 70cm king and I had 6lb leader on the bream gear at the time. It took time but I was grinning the whole way.

Think about the line colour. I started off with white/crystal in the light line classes as it is easy for me to watch when doing small twitches and subtle fishing. Other people like yellows or greens but I find them hard to watch at times depending on the ambient light.

Regards,

Derek

@nutsaboutfishing thanks mate I had a look there but ended up getting the rod, reel, 6lb Daiwa J-Braid, 6 Zman soft plastics and an assortment of jig-heads for $260. I couldn't find a way of beating this deal to be honest.

@PlayerOne and @DerekD as mentioned I ended up choosing some Daiwa J-braid 6lb (in chartreuse, a fluro green colour which looks sweet) after reading good things about it. I note that it states a thickness of 0.06mm and comes in a spool of 150m.

The shimano nasci lists a capacity of 0.25mm/160m. whilst I was at the tackle shop I also purchased some mono to act as a backing but how much should I spool on before the braid? Just enough to allow it to bed in or should I add 50 odd metres first and then spool on the braid?

Once again many thanks for your valuable advice.

3 hours ago, Raen09 said:

The shimano nasci lists a capacity of 0.25mm/160m. whilst I was at the tackle shop I also purchased some mono to act as a backing but how much should I spool on before the braid? Just enough to allow it to bed in or should I add 50 odd metres first and then spool on the braid?

You want it set up so that the braid finishes a little below (say 1mm to 2mm) the angular lip of the spool. Any fuller than that you will often get birds nests till you lose enough line to stop the problem. Some of the people in the tackle shops are really good at judging it. In my case I put the braid on first and then the mono to check the height and then end for end it. A bit of a painful process but once the backing is right then next time you have to top up you just rip the braid off and buy a spool of the same braid and it is then easy to top it up. If you end up getting the two spools as per my suggestion above then it is easy to end for end it by running it on to the second spool.

Actual line diameters compared to the line length figures on the spools are a little bit rubbery so hard to trust them.

14 hours ago, Raen09 said:

@nutsaboutfishing thanks mate I had a look there but ended up getting the rod, reel, 6lb Daiwa J-Braid, 6 Zman soft plastics and an assortment of jig-heads for $260. I couldn't find a way of beating this deal to be honest.

@PlayerOne and @DerekD as mentioned I ended up choosing some Daiwa J-braid 6lb (in chartreuse, a fluro green colour which looks sweet) after reading good things about it. I note that it states a thickness of 0.06mm and comes in a spool of 150m.

Well done. You got great deal there

On 2/28/2019 at 3:29 PM, nutsaboutfishing said:

Get the same rod from dinga currently $100, you'll also get free delivery if you're a dinga member. And the Nasci is $104.

https://www.dinga.com.au/shimano-raider-spinning-rods.html

https://www.dinga.com.au/shimano-nasci-fb-spinning-fishing-reels-nasci16.html

Plus an extra 5 percent discount for fishraiders. 

I usually use one of the thinner braids in 10 pound mainly cause I do a bit of squidding to and with 12lb leader usually get my jigs back. 

Edited by Welster
Typo