Unknown Fish Lost

James  Clain

Hey I am new to fishraider and I am wondering about a fish that I lost while rock fishing for sharks at Austinmere near wollongong. I was using a simple float rig with 100lb shock leader to 80lb trace to a  very large gang hook with a whole fresh dead bully mullet as bait almost 30cm long. After fishing for around 1 hour my float slowly went under and straightaway i was hoocked onto something enormous that wasent fighting very hard. There were a couple head shakes but it mainly felt like a massive dead weight. Before i got a glimpse of the fish it came off but the bait was still on the hook and was intact, no sign of teeth marks but the bait did seem a little squashed and mangled. Water temp was around 25 and depth was probably at 5 to 10 metres.

Any ideas as to what took the bait, I am really curious and next time i want to try and target it more specifically for a better chance ! 

• 4 weeks later...

Be pretty unusual to have a Groper take a whole large Mullet, probably not impossible though, they inhabit rocky areas, especially if there a is bit of a deeper hole around, common name is Blue Groper, (but they can be Brown) they can get pretty big, but none I have ever caught (and I have caught plenty) ever fight like a dead weight.

Edited by noelm
Typo

On 3/31/2019 at 10:02 AM, 61 crusher said:

If you where fishing near the beach end of the rocks it could’ve been a big old shovel nose shark, they don’t fight much & don’t have teeth 

Yeah thats also a strong possibility!

I've had a big black ray take a pike off the surface I had out for a king fish.

The ray chased the pike right up to the surface, rolled over so it could get it's mouth at it, swallowed it in one and then straight back down to the bottom and busted me off on the rocks.

On 4/3/2019 at 6:28 PM, Houdini said:

I've had a big black ray take a pike off the surface I had out for a king fish.

The ray chased the pike right up to the surface, rolled over so it could get it's mouth at it, swallowed it in one and then straight back down to the bottom and busted me off on the rocks.

It's actually really interesting that a bottom dwelling fish like stingrays aren't afraid to swim up and take baits!