Outside Port Hacking

Yowie

A mate took me outside in his boat last night, anchored a bit before sundown in one of his spots.

Burleyed up and a million sweep turned up, never seen them there before. The yakkas had trouble getting to the baits.

We were using 20 pound mono outfits with half pillies. Pick, pick, pick from the rubbish, then bang. Line peels off, not stopping and into the reef and frayed off. Kingie. A few baits later and eventually up comes a kingie, less than 60cm and smaller than the first one.

A few more drops then another one not stopping and into the reef again. When the sun dropped out of the sky, the kingies disappeared, except for one of about 40cm, swimming with the sweep and eating the bread burley.

A couple of large slimies turned up, so they were cut into strip baits for the reddies. My mate caught one reddie the size of my smaller one, and that was it for him for the night, apart from a few sgt baker, and 1 undersized tailor. Just not the night for fish. I also pulled up a nice bream that I gave to my mate.

A couple of squid turned up, so I tied on a small jig and dropped it over. The bounce of the boat gave the jig some movement and the squid were hooking themselves. Most of those will be used for bait, with a bit for eating.

As I was cleaning the fish, one of them had several partially de-composed worms in it's stomach, so I pulled them out for a look, as I normally do to see what fish are eating. A short time later my fingers started stinging, and I could see little spikes in my fingers. Bristleworms. They leave spikes in anything that touches them, though many fish eat them. I could not take a piss, as the spikes may have ended up in the wrong place  :lol:  so I had to wait until I drove home to remove about 2 dozen spikes from my fingers. Won't be touching them again!

fish.jpeg_187.thumb.png.d6806b0e76a0bd7c82a8e69de3849d78.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, masterfisho7 said:

Mate that sounds not good I have never heard of them but at least the day was not that bad igot fish and squid 

First, and last, time I will touch bristleworms.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

Always good to do something a bit different yowie!! Would have been a far different report if you had of put those spikes in the wrong place 😝

cheers scratchie!!! 

The missus said don't ask me for help if you spike the wrong place.  :074:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frankS said:

Yowie. Make sure you get all the bristles out, then wash your hands with Vinegar . The bristles can actually penetrate and work their way under the skin and cause an infection .

Frank

The spikes were hard to remove, so will try the vinegar trick. Thank you.

4 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Well thats not something you hear about every day ! Lucky you didnt get any in your more delicate parts haha.

Some nice size to those squid. Good work

Happy with the size of them. I put down the rod with the squid jig for a few seconds, then one of the bigger ones tried to drag the rod overboard. :brucelee:

It shocks me to hear you've learned something about fishing your area that you didn't already know Yowie.

Reminds me of when some fish farms were starting up around Fremantle and I started landing bream and herring where once they were killed and iced there'd suddenly be a bunch of white prawny-looking things in the bucket.

Those frickin' sea-lice can go eat a bag of things that are printable on this site. Straight through my fingertips as soon as I picked one up for a closer look. Properly razor-sharp.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Always good to do something a bit different yowie!! Would have been a far different report if you had of put those spikes in the wrong place 😝

cheers scratchie!!! 

Could have been a story for Hamish & Andy's true stories 🤣

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Ryder said:

I've been warned about bristle worms, we have them in the tropical fish tank at work. I didn't know they were in our waters.

Great catch of squid.

Never had dealings with those worms before, will be wary next time I see some.

11 hours ago, DaveBM said:

It shocks me to hear you've learned something about fishing your area that you didn't already know Yowie.

Reminds me of when some fish farms were starting up around Fremantle and I started landing bream and herring where once they were killed and iced there'd suddenly be a bunch of white prawny-looking things in the bucket.

Those frickin' sea-lice can go eat a bag of things that are printable on this site. Straight through my fingertips as soon as I picked one up for a closer look. Properly razor-sharp.

There are plenty of critters out there in the ocean that you don't normally see. When I used to do a bit of scuba diving, that's when I saw a lot of sea life that fishos don't see from the surface.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Welster said:

Wow I have never heard of those worms before.  Lucky you could hold it in so your  mate didn’t need to lend a hand!

No other blokes handling that part of the anatomy thank you.  :074:

I had heard of them before, but not handled any. Mongrel worms.

12 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Luckily you didn't end up with a mother of all bristleworms yourself mate.Great report as usual.

Thanks Fab. I needed some squid bait for the freezer, down to the last 2 baits.

Don't need any worms.  :074:

The larger reddie was on the BBQ, tasted very nice.