Sydney Sportfishing Tournament

hookerbruce

Weather forecast for last weekend was not good but there were windows of opportunity. Took the grandsons out on Port Hacking after school on Friday till dark. Both caught caught fish.  

One a nice flathead the other his first ever legal snapper.

Out again sat 9:30 when the weather had a settled back at the ramp at 2:30before the wind.

Another first with a legal king 2.44 kg on 4kg. Plus bream, tailor and a 62cm king released.

The flathead won the junior section .96 on 1kg 

20190331_104105.jpg

20190331_103733.jpg

• Like 10

Some good fish caught.  Even if me and baxter out fished you on the Friday night. 

On 4/3/2019 at 6:01 PM, Houdini said:

great catches and on such light line you must have taught them well and have a silky smooth drag.

What reels do you use and what knots to attach the leader?

Hi Houdini,

I'm an uncle and son of these people. Not sure why Dad hasn't responded yet.

The sydney sportsfishing tournament is an ANSA run event. Not sure what you know of ANSA but the line class is used in determining a point score for each fish.

The boys would of been using shimano sienna 1000 loaded with Platypus pre-test line. The other reels would be shimano in the low to mid price range (Sedona to Stradic).

Spider hitch for a double, locked blood knot to a swivel and same again for the trace and hook. With the drag at about 1/3 breaking strain. A bit of finger pressure on the spool at times as needed but the boys are not doing this yet.

Like me as a child and my kids now, the boys have fished light line almost from the start. It is a great way to learn, as once you have a good technique and know the limits of each breaking strain you are set for whatever jumps on your line.

Hope this helps

Ash

Edited by Oscarthebeagle
Grammar
  • Thanks 1

As Ash has said it’s what you get used to , the young kids have been using 1kg since they were 3yrs old so have developed the skills to use the light lines. The light lines allow you to use little or no sinkers which does appear to catch more fish. We also fish areas where we have a good chance of landing the fish. Try to avoid extra rocky areas. Legal kingfish on 1kg line is possible. Our best flathead on 1kg was 5.9 kgs by my son, fish was put in a large live tank weighed measured and released a few minutes later and swam off strongly.

You can visit the ansansw web site and see the line class records

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hookerbruce said:

As Ash has said it’s what you get used to , the young kids have been using 1kg since they were 3yrs old so have developed the skills to use the light lines. The light lines allow you to use little or no sinkers which does appear to catch more fish. We also fish areas where we have a good chance of landing the fish. Try to avoid extra rocky areas. Legal kingfish on 1kg line is possible. Our best flathead on 1kg was 5.9 kgs by my son, fish was put in a large live tank weighed measured and released a few minutes later and swam off strongly.

You can visit the ansansw web site and see the line class records

What ANSA club are you with, Bruce? I’ve been with St George Sportfishing Club since about 1979. I’ve always loved the ANSA ethos. I wish there was an ANSA club here in Port Stephens.

Happy Hookers

Was started by Tony Filmer 40+ years ago. Had 30-40 members at it's biggest, now it just exists for the extended Robinson family so we can fish ANSA tournaments and records.

Just a family club but we came a distant 3rd at the Sydney comp and are current champs for the Nowra comp. We fish Burrinjuck comp most years as well.

Edited by Oscarthebeagle
Error
  • Like 1