Ramsgate Beach Blackfish

LandBasedKeith

Hello fellow fishraiders,

I had been reading this post for over a year. Finally get around to add my own post. I had been reading a lot of activities on Botany Bay but mostly offshore. I see a lot of people fishing  landbased along the stretch of water from La Perouse to Captain Cook Bridge. I hope my input will help them.

Ramsgate Beach:

People i meet been telling me there are big whiting to be caught but i hadn't seen any myself. You see people using prawns, yabbies, pichards, and chicken but with very little result. You see lots and lots of small fishes such as Bream, Snapper and Sweep plagues the shoreline. The bait usually got pick off by them before any big one get to it but you still see occasional Leatherjacket, Flathead and Bream get caught. 

There are school of large mullet swimming along the shorelines and beaches but myself never had any luck of catching them. 

Most of the bread fisho had disappeared along with the Trevallies. The lure fisho and school of flathead hasn't turn up yet.

There aren't any yakkas around and the tailor had completely disappeared. 

But, there are still plenty of blackfish. These are caught just this Thursday 27/4/2019.

LandBasedKeith2824.jpg

• Like 5

Any rod and reel is fine but you do need a longer rod for the Float rig. Longer rod also make it easy to steer the hooked fish away from the dense seaweed bed and rocky ledge.

I use both Float Rig and Paternoster Rig. Float Rig is more fun but only applicable when the water is calm and low wind otherwise i use the Paternoster Rig - only if no snag at the bottom or i want the rig to stay at one spot. I use 2 hooks setup so i can cover 2 different depth on the same rig.

I always use flurocarbon line as leader only because i got them. Thinner line may have better hit rate but break off easy and i found the landing net troublesome so i use stronger & thicker line so i can pull the fish right out of the water.

Bait i use string weed both fresh water and sea water depend on their availability. I do prefer sea water type because the sweeps don't like it. Cabbage weed is also good but i only had success with the tiny one grew in this area. There plenty of weed on the rocks at the beach. The string weed are always too short but there are plenty of tiny cabbage weed which is about the size of the hook(perfect).

LandBasedKeith2844.jpg

• Like 3