Nice Northern Beaches Red

GoingFishing

Gday Raiders

Headed out today with the hope to bag a few reds and pearl perch off coogee. Arrived at the ramp 530 and we were on location at first light. Tried a few spots between 40m and 70m with no luck. Not even any marks on the sounder which was odd as we usually drift over a few fish every while.

Made the call to change locations and headed to dee why wide. On the way there i passed over some new reef structure which was holding fish so i doubled back, deployed the sea anchor and dropped the rigs. 30 minutes later on the 4th drift about to lose hope the rod buckles over for a screaming run. A nice fight ensues and up comes a nice 65cm snapper. I dont usually do photos with the fish but today i couldnt help myself haha... (ps yes im a panzie i wear a neck scarf all through winter). Marked the spot to come back and give it a try at first light.

A couple of minutes later dad was onto a fish going 36cm. Hung around for another hour and then finished the journey to dee why where we picked up a few flathead. 

I tried something new today with success. When fishing for snapper in deep water i like to fish with whole pillies but the usual rig with a ball sinker is not ideal for deep water and i like to be able to change lead weights easily. So i improvised and had a single paternoster style snapper rig with two hooks off one 30cm dropper about 1.5m up from the sinker. Loop the line over the tail to keep the pillie in place for longer. The 65cm snapper fell to this rig as well as 6 of the flathead.

All in all a good day !

Thanks for reading

Sam

IMG-20190428-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20190428-WA0005.jpg

• Like 9

Thanks fellas. It was a lovely day on the water. Wind blowing south west around 10-15 knots which occasionally made the drift a little too fast but apart from that perfect conditions.

@blaxland there is endless number of reefs between north head and long reef all the way out to the 80m mark. Some produce more than others. 

Ive trialled a fair few over the years and some produce consistently whilst others are hit and miss. 

@Scratchie yep that string puller got the heart pumping so cant imagine how hard those 80-90cm port stephens beasties would pull. Ive heard some big reds come out from long reef but i havent quite worked out that part of the northern beaches yet.

30 minutes ago, 61 crusher said:

Great report, photos & feed, my PB snapper (also 65cm) was hooked in 60m off whale beach being lowered in bait runner mode with similar paternoster to yours on pillie

thanks mate.

That would have been awesome, see the rod loading up before the bait even hits the bottom ! 

Guest Guest123456789

Impressive use of the sonar - well done.

How many knots were you travelling at when you found the reef?

2 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

Impressive use of the sonar - well done.

How many knots were you travelling at when you found the reef?

Thanks mate. Depends on the conditions but I would have been doing at least 10 -12 knots at the time. I'm usually travelling alot faster but passed some reef a minute or so earlier and had slowed down.

Edited by GoingFishing
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GoingFishing said:

I certainly did mate. Nice ledge which falls away relatively steeply then plateus for about 200m then steps up again onto some more reef

That sounds like a good fishy spot for reds, there’s a similar spot just south of longy that a mate used to regularly get 6 to 8kg reds in summer, the  boys at ottos used to call him the snapper whisperer