3.6 Subaru Outback for towing

Plethora

The Subaru 2019 Outback spec said it can tow up to 1.8 - does any one tow a boat greater than 1 tone with a CVT  as I have a Stacer 509 Searunner (500kgs) Engine 115 Evinrude (203kgs) and trailer 280 - 

My research is con traversal  - some say not to tow with a CVT and other say its Ok  

I feel your pain.

I have an ageing outback with the 3.0. It tows 1.2t fine.

i won’t be replacing the car with another outback because of the cvt.

to answer your question - yes it will tow it, but I don’t know how long the cvt will last. On a side note the new 2020 with the turbo has higher towing specs then the 2019 3.6 (American specs anyway)

• Like 1

There is some doubt as to the longevity of a CVT used for towing. If that doesn't put you off then you might consider that Subaru puts a limit of 80 kph for towing which is a real pain for long trips. Also they require servicing every six months. I think a Hyundai Santa Fe is a better proposition.

Edited by kingfishbig
  • Like 1

I remember a recent discussion (may be this forum or FB) re Outback 3.6R towing abilities, and it was suggested to consider a Diesel Outback model (up to 1.7t) as it is cheaper and more suitable for towing.

Just had a look at Subaru website:

https://www.subaru.com.au/service/pricing/capped-price-servicing

The recommended scheduled service interval for 2019 Subaru Outback models is every 6 months or 12,500 kilometres, whichever occurs first. Subaru 6 cylinder models require an interim service at 3
months or 5,000 kilometres, whichever occurs first.

It looks like for 3.6R -  service fun every 3 months .

1 hour ago, savit said:

I remember a recent discussion (may be this forum or FB) re Outback 3.6R towing abilities, and it was suggested to consider a Diesel Outback model (up to 1.7t) as it is cheaper and more suitable for towing.

Just had a look at Subaru website:

https://www.subaru.com.au/service/pricing/capped-price-servicing

The recommended scheduled service interval for 2019 Subaru Outback models is every 6 months or 12,500 kilometres, whichever occurs first. Subaru 6 cylinder models require an interim service at 3
months or 5,000 kilometres, whichever occurs first.

It looks like for 3.6R -  service fun every 3 months .

'Interim' just means after the first 3 months - not every 3 months. You can see that it the table.

Don't get a Nissan Pathfinder R52 either, only towed with it once or twice and after 43,000km we have just had the 3rd transmission replaced, Original lasted 16,000 the next not much more but replaced at 43,000km as Nissan debated it.

Car is out of warranty now and this transmission only has a 20,000km / 1yr warranty.

5 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

Don't get a Nissan Pathfinder R52 either, only towed with it once or twice and after 43,000km we have just had the 3rd transmission replaced, Original lasted 16,000 the next not much more but replaced at 43,000km as Nissan debated it.

Car is out of warranty now and this transmission only has a 20,000km / 1yr warranty.

Sell Sell Sell!!

6 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

Does it have a CVT also?

2 hours ago, Fishop said:

Sell Sell Sell!!

Thats half the issue it’s a $54k car 3 yrs ago and now it’s worth $20k as everyone knows about the transmission problems.

there is a class action lawsuit in America as well.

So many issues with the pathfinder transmission which is a shame as the rest of the car is great and it’s a pleasure to drive.

it’s a CVt from jatco

• Like 1

I've experienced a cvt failure so I can share what I've learned. The car is a second hand Nissan Murano which had 80K on the clock. I didn't use the car for towing, but it had an tow bar fitted and with the rust marks on it, so I assume the previous owner towed with it.  I first noticed the problem during steep hill climbs. It would rev very high for the speed I was going, and acceleration uphill from stop is abnormally slow. When I got out the car to examine things I noticed a strong burning oil smell from the transmission and I think I saw smoke coming from it or heat waves. After talking with a local mechanic he recons the transmission in the Murano are rubbish and this one is about to fail. And he reckons cvt should only be used on light vehicles and not for heavy load like towing due to the way it works.

On 5/1/2019 at 12:08 PM, jeffb5.8 said:

Just sold my pathfinder r52

had gearbox replaced last October and gearbox started to play up again so decided to get rid of it 

cost to replace a gearbox is $15k and only comes with 1yr or 20000kms

wont ever buy a Nissan again 

better off buying a Toyota or Mitsubishi